Sunk Xantia clutch

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

D.Slatford
My Cars:

Sunk Xantia clutch

Post by D.Slatford »

Something odd has just happened.
After a steady cruise, non-stop from Bristol to Leeds, a good three hours or more on the motorways, upon entering the slip road off and reaching for the clutch pedal for the first time since setting off - the thing felt as if it were almost on the floor.
Somehow, during that journey, the pedals sunk a good distance, and now the bite points almost on the floor, resulting in juddery pulling off and of course making gear shifts a little more grindy..
Car's done 149K miles, but the clutch is supposed to have been replaced sometime last year, before I bought the car. What on earth may have happened, and why? (Curiously, the car had a service just a couple of days before).
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

What engine.
Dave
D.Slatford
My Cars:

Post by D.Slatford »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dave Burns</i>

What engine.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Sorry, 1.9TD, P reg.
tonespeed1999
My Cars:

Post by tonespeed1999 »

sounds like the clutch cable might be fraying,and soon snap!
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Have a look at the clutch pedal, if you can see a spring on the side of it you have the auto adjusting cable type, if so I would suspect the adjuster mechanism which is part of the cable.
If no spring come back and we'l do some more head scratching.
Dave
D.Slatford
My Cars:

Post by D.Slatford »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tonespeed1999</i>

sounds like the clutch cable might be fraying,and soon snap!
Well that would just be f'ing perfect.
I'll hope for good weather Sunday and investigate the pedal.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

or perhaps its a manually adjusted one and the adjuster nut has wound itself off?
Stewart
D.Slatford
My Cars:

Post by D.Slatford »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by oilyspanner</i>

or perhaps its a manually adjusted one and the adjuster nut has wound itself off?
Well, I got to have a look, but it appears hopeless. I can barely get my fingers up to the top of the clutch pedal, much less do anything when I can barely see what's there or how it works :(
I can't tell if there's an autoadjuster or not. I did take a couple of pics but the cable to the camera has vanished now.. typical! It looks like the clutch cable comes up behind plastic trim, terminates into a short white thing a couple of inches long or so, which somehow clips onto the top of the pedal. I can't *see* any springs or nuts or anything. I can't see enough of it's construction to be able to tell if the cable could have slipped out of whatever it terminates into.
Seems like I'm stuffed - anyone know of any private citroen garages around the south leeds area?
RichG
My Cars:

Post by RichG »

Your looking at the wrong end!
The adjustment, if not auto, is on the other end of the cable. If you look, or feel, under the air cleaner box/ Battery tray you should find the clutch cable and operating arm. If the end of the cable is threaded then it is maunual adjustment. If it ends in a flat disc, from memory, then it is auto adjust. The white clip you can see at the pedal end is the infamous clutch clip. The white ones are stronger than the original black ones.
Richard