AX GT Stalling/starting problem *FIXED*

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

cheesesliceking

AX GT Stalling/starting problem *FIXED*

Post by cheesesliceking »

hello,
Car was running superfly 100% platinum sweet... until one HT lead came of the Dizzy yesterday on way to work pulled over popped it back on. all way back from work car was running awfull kept stalling & wouldnt idle anything other than erratically. I've just Replaced all the HT leads just now & its still doing the same damn thing.
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!
Any ideas pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeease! the thing wont staty started, pull choke out full revs to 3k then drops & dies..
Its a 1360cc AX GT Mk1 1989/90
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

a plug lead off can kill the electronic ignition module if not allowed to spark off the pulse (of you seewhat i mean)
Maybe swap the ign module from your other GT ?
cheesesliceking

cheers, i was hoping it wouldnt have done that [B)] but it might be worth a try. i'd have to buy one ooter GT got scrapped[B)]
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Hmmm...
Simple things first : why did the cable pop off in the first place ?
Check the cable is secured correctly both ends. Have it checked out with an ohm meter. Your tries may have dislodged the connector either end.
The resistance depends on the lenght of the cable. But something between 1K - 3K would be fine.
cheesesliceking

not following u Anders sorry im having a stoopid day[:I]
not sure why it popped of but i put it back on & checked them all & they were all ok.
not sure what u mean about checking resistance[:I][:I]
I jsut changed the ignition module & its still doing it!!![xx(]
aaaaaggggggghhhhh help!!
any more ideas??
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

Ok, sorry the ign module didnt help.
Try the simple things first. New set of plugs, maybe new dizzy cap and rotor arm and lastly new leads. I would think unless there is some bigger problem this should sort it out.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Yep -
Defo simple things.
Clean the dizzy cap (inside & out) and the HT leads. Make a note on how the HT leads are connected to the cap and plugs [B)] - not to mix up the connections later [:(]
The engine will not abruptly run erratic on sooty plugs or clogged airfilter. That would cause a gradual degrading of engine performance. Besides you had the HT lead falling off in the first place ...
By checking resistance in the HT leads I mean measure the ohmic resistance of the cable - from one end to the other end [;)]
That is because a HT plug lead has build in resistance for radio anti-interference.
Checking the resistance would then instantly tell you if the HT lead itself basically is in good nick.
A good trick is to run the engine (hood open) when dark, You then instantly see if the HT leads are arcing to earth - meaning you have an isolation problem with the HT lead arcing.
Cleaning and then spraying with silicone spray will most likely cure such a problem.
cheesesliceking

cool cheers I'll try all that once i dig out the multimeter nice idea with the arcing at night anders : O)
Do you think the lead coming off could have damaged the cap & or arm? as they are about 4 months old do i'd expect them to be in good condition.[?]
cheesesliceking

FIXED! changed the fuel pump & Carb. Its now back to be as quick as a greased Ho' running to a cake shop.
CHEERS!
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

Ive seen many things in my life but what you describe above re: cake shops is not one of them. Must add that to my list of stuff to do before im 90 :D
cheesesliceking

Its a sight to be seen my good man.. BTW did you see that Visa GTI going on Ebay all Rally preped? sweet looking monster if i do say so.[:p]
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

Yep saw it, was going to bid until it went mad to use for autotests. Glad it went for that amount though as it means mines worth a fair bit if I wanted to sell it. Better condition and so many spares its a joke. I could take the engine out, sell that for £700 or more alone and sell the car with a 1.6 back in it for more than that other one if I wanted as well :)
cheesesliceking

how much did it go for? I missed the end