Xantia auto gearbox thingy!!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jochem
My Cars:

Xantia auto gearbox thingy!!!

Post by jochem »

Hello All,
I've had great [:)] advice about an airbag warning light on my Xsara from the forum.....now I have a question regarding my in law's Xantia (S reg. 1.8i Automatic LX).
It has developed a strange habit of (mainly from a cold start or over rough ground) jumping into sports, kickdown, or ice mode while driving along normally. The problem doesn't seem to be a dangerous one, but it is annoying nonetheless. When they select those modes manually, i.e. when pressing the buttons on the transmission to do so, they seem to work normally. Has anyone come across this problem before?
Their garage has guessed that it may be one of a couple of problems; perhaps an over-heating relay within the gearbox etc.
Any suggestions gratefully received.
Jochem
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

It could also be low fluid.
But it points out to be an electric problem with the gearbox ECU.
Fellas, any thoughts?
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

In my experience with auto boxes in various cars the usual fault is low fluid levels, that effects the car in various ways, so check the oil level first.. If its ok. then try an oil change, if that fails, its prob an ecu prob.. Service pack-patch 97 ish from microsoft might cure it? [:D] lmho... (sorry, I just hate ecu's) [:I] [}:)]
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

This sounds very similar to a problem which afflicts Volvos. They however have the Aisan Warner transmission which I'm 99% certain is not fitted to the Xara.
The apparent reason is the failure of a switch which would seem to be on the selector. Temporary repair/diagnostic is to move the lever fron one end of the gate to the other about 20 times! - might well work for you.
In fact it sounds electric/electronic and with luck is an external switch. A can of switch cleaner might be useful too!
jeremy
jochem
My Cars:

Post by jochem »

Thanks fellas....I'll tell him to give all of the above a try.
dan.2cv
My Cars:

Post by dan.2cv »

The procedure for checking the level on the AL4 transmission is a right kerfuffle. You have to do it standing on one leg wearing French knickers and singing the birdie song if I remember rightly.......
It's detailed in Haynes, but let me know if you don't have one and need instructions.
My money is on an electrical fault tho......
jochem
My Cars:

Post by jochem »

The problem has been fixed. The main dealer said; new gearbox, £2,000 please. The local dealer said; we'll change a couple of sensors, £300........problem solved!!