Bosch Fuel Pump Timing

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stevieboy1
My Cars:

Bosch Fuel Pump Timing

Post by stevieboy1 »

I'm going to set the fuel pump timing on a 1.9D Xantia, the problem is its got a Bosch pump and the Haynes book doesn't list a N/A with a Bosch Pump[?]
Therefore do i set it the same as the turbo(Bosch)[;)]
There is a sticker under the bonnet which says 1.05 lucas 1.52 Bosch. Could this be the correct setting as it looks a little different to the manual at 0.57 or 0.66 for the 2 different types of turbo engines fitted with the bosch pump.[:(!]
If all else fails i could always see what its closest too[:0]
Any body got any other ideas or figures?
Cheers
Steve
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

I cant see why the timing would be different ... ?
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Because of increased cylinder pressure when the turbo is on song, the air temperature will be slightly higher during injection, as a result the fuel will start to burn a tad sooner, so a n/a would need to begin injecting a bit earlier.
Clock the pump and see what the setting is before you disturb it, the BOL for xant doesn't list Bosch n/a, but it does in the ZX book, and that it states is 1.07mm, but see what the reading is first then go from there.
Dave
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Tx enlighting me Dave [:)]
I had no idea.
Steady you are - as always [8D]
stevieboy1
My Cars:

Post by stevieboy1 »

Thanks for that, another firgure[:0]. No honest it does help.
Its a different pump and no one checked before they removed it![xx(]
I think i'll use what it sits best at with all the timing lined up etc[}:)]
Cheers
Steve
rotodiesel

Post by rotodiesel »

The two figures given on the paper label are the smoke limits for Bosch and Lucas pumps, and have nothing to do with the timing. Bosch EP-VE type pumps are generally timed using a locking pin between the pump sprocket hub and the front (drive end) face of the pump. This is the same pin as is used to lock the pump when changing the cambelt - later engines have a slotted hub on both the cam and pump sprockets to allow precise setting. This excellent arrangment also allows exact tensioning of the belt without locked in torque from either the valve springs via the camshaft, or the pump itself.
rotodiesel.
stevieboy1
My Cars:

Post by stevieboy1 »

Thanks for that, it explains the numbers. Looks like it's 1.07mm then. I'm not sure if its got a hub, i thinks its a keyed shaft but could be wrong. I didn't fit it, i've just been asked to set it as i have a gauge.
Cheers
Steve
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Rotodiesel appears to be refering to general pump timing relative to the cam and crank sprockets as for belt replacement, this post refers to pump timing relative to TDC.
The 8mm locking screws (timing pegs) screw into the pump mounting bracket.
Dave