What prices for Head Gasket repair on ZX/306 td

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sooty
My Cars:

What prices for Head Gasket repair on ZX/306 td

Post by sooty »

What prices have you've been charged for replacing a Head gasket on a ZX/306 td.
Also which is the best gasket to use, a paper or metal type of head gasket.
Comments ????[;)]
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

Guestimation, about 6 hour labour, HG and bolt set £40. Maybe £50 (could be more) for a machine shop to skim the head and reset the cam. £40 for oil, oil filter and anti-freeze and a couple of quid for hose clips, if the original one shot jobs are still on.
TheWorker
My Cars:

Post by TheWorker »

probaly looking around 4-500 quid for garage job, if you decide to skim it`ll be more like 150 quid than 50 as the valves are taken out and its best to have the paper type gasket as it needs to be a bit thicker to account for lost head
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

£150 for a head skimming ?
That's even beyond a rip off [}:)]
sooty
My Cars:

Post by sooty »

I've read somewhere, that the metal type gasket is more reliable than the paper.????
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

Metal is, Citroen when doing this job don't use paper ones any more, so go metal and you wont be disappointed.
gsf sell all the parts, I’d replace the tensioner and the water pump (an d the head bolts) at the same time as its easy to do it all at once.
My local engine workshop will do tests skims and strip the head down and build it all back up for £60 and I think that is a very good price, there Halesowen engines in Birmingham (the parts guy at my local Citroen garage actually tipped me off about them as they get all there work done there like most garages in Redditch).
IMHO I wont use paper gaskets with XUD's any more as every one I know who has used a metal gasket has had nothing but good dings to say about them (and one of the cars has done over 250k with one!). (I'm still trying to find one for my 2.1!)
Andy
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

Theres a bloke where I live who said it would be 350 - 400 (depending if it were to be skimmed).
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

I usually pay £25 for a skim,My engineering guys will also change valve seals etc whilst doing the skim for a fiver extra. a lot more for pressure testing though which is why I rarely bother with that one, the testing conditions are not the same as a head mounted on the block with the bolts pulled down anyway.
Stewart