Erratic electrics on Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RStacey
My Cars:

Erratic electrics on Xantia

Post by RStacey »

Hi
I'm looking for help on an electrical problem on my 99 2.0 Hdi xantia
The car is a non starter on my drive but the speedo reads 130mph and the rev counter reads 6000. The fuel guage is dead, the radio is dead - when the indicators are put on the clock, the interior lights (when doors open)and the door open warning light flash in sympathy and both the speedo and the rev counter also move in sympathy - this does not happen however when the indicators are being activated by the hazard switch. I guessing that the non starting is due to immobiliser being activated
I've already checked the earth points by the battery and either side of the central consul without success but I dont know if there are any others and the manual's no help
Any suggestions welcomed as I'm close to resorting to Citroen
tonespeed1999
My Cars:

Post by tonespeed1999 »

has the car had any problems before,or has this fault just started?
is the battery ok?.the battery is the easiest and cheapest thing to check.
RStacey
My Cars:

Post by RStacey »

Hi - thanks for the reply
The battery is nearly new and fine - engine cranks well - battery connections checked ok - the first sign of a problem was the night before it failed to start when the speedo and rev counter went haywire briefly, the clock and radio reset themselves as if the battery had been disconnected and the fuel gauge read zero briefly. The car however drove perfectly and all the gauges settled down again
weety
My Cars:

Post by weety »

could still be the battery....with modern cars as the battery gets a bit flat you can get all sorts of strange problems.....can you charge the battery up?