Dave B Inspired me.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jon

Dave B Inspired me.

Post by Jon »

Here we go again. Another very unusual sight Yes, its my BX, in my garage on axle stands with the intercooler off.
After an evening of fun, I found why I'm still losing coolant, and the top of the gearbox is all wet
Hm, never seen one go there before. Investigation reveals slight split in rubber pipe between the metal one and the thermo housing. Repair made using cut off piece of surplus braided hose (replaced last week) and 2 new hose clips. Appears leak free.
Whilst under the car I found that the metal pipe down the back of the head was in fact OK, and that I had a new oil leak, which maybe or maybe not the oil pressure switch. Oh, and I need an O/S front strut return pipe. Ho hum.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Went to Mr. B's this afternoon - counted no fewer than 7 BX's (including the 2 on his drive). One was a very poorly / buncy estate which looked far far too low for comfort tanking down Broadway.
Obviously something in the water.... Think I will stick with the Xantia[:)]
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

I've got a similar looking leak on the back of the 16V engine so looks like the engine hoist will be needed to roll the donk forward to get access.
My problem at present isn't so much doing the job as getting started as I am still waiting for the guy with the gas bottle and gauges to arrive so I can fill the air/con, so if I start and he duly rolls up, I'm beat because I won't be able to run & test the air/con if the cooling system is drained and a couple of hoses off; what they call "between a rock and a hard place" I reckon.
Alan S
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

I think that may have happened when the head was done Jon. I left the hose on the head and had to give it plenty with a screwdriver to move it off and back on the steel pipe. Maybe your head man did the same and the hose came off worse. My hose looks a bit more heavy duty with a raised moulding either side of the hose clip, to give it a bit more strength.
Marty. A silver TRS is a regular performer at Hectors House, and I saw an F plate estate in a delightful shade of "Hearing Aid Beige" out Poulton way this afternoon. Getting a bit thin on the ground.
joe_405TD

Post by joe_405TD »

Ive always got water leaks on my td 405, ive given up now as the latest leak is on the platic housing behing the block, suplies the metal hose on back of head and big bottom hose.
Its located just above the drive shaft, very difficlt to get to and only leaking a bit so just left it.
The hose you have a leak on went on one of mine, when removing the head you need to take this hose off (depending on if you remove the diesel filter housing) and it was stuck solid on mine ended up riping it taking it off.
Perhaps it became damaged in a similar way at an earler date.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

There's a very similar hose on the TD12 (2.1) - it gave up on my '93 XM. No reason apart from age and rubber quality. Fotunately I noticed the heater go cold - otherwise it would have been a HG!
//NiSk
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

I don't want to say I told you so, but I will.
These are the very hoses I advised you change,with the braided hoses, when you had the engine out Jon
Jon

Post by Jon »

I didn't realise that you were talking about <i>those</i> hoses Bernie! [:D][:I]
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

I always do them while the beast is out too Jon, they are pure fun with the motor in situ.especially the one on the other end of that steel pipe.
Stewart
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

Being able to work on a car in a garage must be great sigh :( My tiny lockup garage rented from the local council 2 miles away is so small its hard to even get down the sides of my Visa. I had great "joy" up there today lying on the wet concrete ground in a snow blizzard when it was -2C putting the exhaust on. Only thing that keeps me going is the 175 ponies under the bonnet (well not really under as the bonnets not on it heh) and knowing its 800kg so will keep up with porsche boxters etc. :)