thermostat housing

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

robsyme

thermostat housing

Post by robsyme »

Can anyone tell me exactly where the thermostat housing is located in the engine. I am complete novice but have been advised that the fan always on and the Red Stop light coupled with the temperature warning light could be a loose connection. So if anyone could advise where to find it, it would be appreciated. Xantia LX TD 1996.
Jon

Post by Jon »

IF you follow the hose from the top of the radiator (the side of the radiator nearest the battery) then that hose connects to the thermostat housing, its a black plastic affair. Undo the 3 X 10mm headed bolts and there you will find the thermostat.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

The Xantia uses a 2-pass cross flow radiator, and the top and bottom hose both connect at the same (timing belt) end of the engine. Makes getting to the things down the front interesting as there is a dirty great hose snaking across everywhere!
Follow that top hose, and the stat housing is under the deisel filter. There should be 2 sensors screwed into the housing, one is brown, one blue I think. The blue one controls the gauge in the car, the brown one feeds the 'Bitron' controller which 'looks after' the aircon, fans, and stop light. If you unplug the brown sensor, the fans should both go to full, and the stop and overtemp lights should come on.