Boost gauge

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

russellfowden
My Cars:

Boost gauge

Post by russellfowden »

Anyone know if I could fit a turbo boost gauge to my ZX 1.9 TD? No particular reason, I'm just a bit of a closet Trevor sometimes. What do I need and can I order it here?
Jon

Post by Jon »

We covered this one some time earlier, in respect of a Xantia TD (same engine)...
Heres the link of that topic which tells you where to get one!
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... IC_ID=1013
Jon Wood
IT Supervisor
GSF t/as Andyspares
russellfowden
My Cars:

Post by russellfowden »

OK, I've got round to fitting the gauge in the dash (bless my holesaws), wiring the light in etc. Not sure if there is any pre-existing hole I could route the approx 12mm thick pipe though to the engine compartment. Anyone got any suggestions, or would I need to get the drill out and if so where, bearing in mind I'd be better to route it away from manifolds etc that could melt it?
Thanks guys,
Russ
sooty
My Cars:

Post by sooty »

I've a ZX td and If you look in the Off/side rear of the engine compartment under the plastic windscreen grille right into the corner. You should see a blank rubber grommet, remove the grommet and the hole should be large enough for your 12mm pipe to pass through. You could then cable tie your hose at various points and go alongside the fuel supply line, etc. to the tee-piece connection at the front of your intercooler to pump pipe.
Just as interest, where have you fitted your boost gauge into your dash.
Edited by - sooty on 24 Sep 2002 21:17:58
russellfowden
My Cars:

Post by russellfowden »

Cheers Sooty, that's exactly the sort of labour saving info I was after. Well done the Andyspares forum - exactly why some good soul set it up in the first place.
I didn't think too much about where to put it and I'm sure there are more elegant locations, but I stuck it above the RH side of the glovebox just under the horizontal depressed groove in the dash as there is space behind it for the body of the gauge - you can still see it clearly from the drivers side. A 51mm holesaw is ideal for a standard 52mm gauge as it's a nice tight fit. To get to the back of it take out the radio, not sure if access will be so good with the standard unit as my car came fitted with an aftermarket Sony CD tuner (bonus) and I reckon it's in an adaptor plate. I spliced the light in the gauge into the wiring for the light on the cig lighter socket so that it would come on when you put the lights on (still inconsistent with the rest of the instrumentation but hey) and this seems to work OK as long as you don't try to hang too much off it - poxy thin wiring to the cig lighter bulb.
russellfowden
My Cars:

Post by russellfowden »

OK - have been REALLY busy work-wise and the available light in this so called 'Indian Summer' has been failing the moment I get back from work, but had a quick look and I can't see this alleged rubber grommet. My car is an early one (K plate) so maybe it's just not there, do I need to take out the plastic thing that houses the washer/jets to see it? If it's definitely there no matter what the age then I'll pull the plastic bit out to get to it, but I can't eyeball the hole I'm looking for (Swiss Toni inferences aside) so not sure whether it's deffo worth me doing it? If my car is too ancient to have the easy hole (They're not cars, Paul - if you get that then commendations on your taste in comedy) then where should I drill through?
sooty
My Cars:

Post by sooty »

My ZX is a 96 Elation td.
If you look at the engine from the front of the car. On the L/H/R where the washer bottle filler is, in that small compartment at the rear under the plastic thing, there should be grommet as I said, possibly used by something else 'wires/etc.' from a previous owner, you may need a torch to see it in bad light or maybe remove the plastic thing with caution and when refitting it (cracking the screen).
sooty