Vent panels.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dillosk8ter
My Cars:

Vent panels.

Post by dillosk8ter »

The 'vent panels' on the BX...what do they actually do. I know this may seem stupid question to some but I really don't know?[:I]
Also the black filter mesh behind the 'vent panel' has broken down/dissappeared on one side. Any suggestions as to what to replace it with.
Still haven't had chance to carry out very extensive service on it either, got boxes full of parts from Gsf and even treated it to 'Magnatec' oil but this weather is stopping me doing anything. Frustrating!![:(!]
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Vent panels? don't they ....vent? I remeber years back when the BX was a new model that you could get a sort of clear plastic cover instead of the vent panel. This made the pillar see through from inside the car. I believe it came from Citroen dealers.
dillosk8ter
My Cars:

Post by dillosk8ter »

Yes. True. but what would they be venting?!? Yeah, know the things your on about {I think} but thought they were mounted above the vent, which was still present? They gave an extra window along side of BX...pehaps making it easier to reverse park!!!!
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

The vent panels are there to let the compressed air out when you close a door or tailgate. Otherwise we would all be blowing back windows out! The mesh on mine has gone west so I'm considering using aluminium mesh.
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

The vents extract air from the cabin very effectively when on the move. Try temporarily blocking them up, and note the difference in flow from the dashboard 'blower' nozzles when the actual blower is turned off.
dan.2cv
My Cars:

Post by dan.2cv »

I think the plastic quarter covers were dependant on the model as opposed to being an option, but I could be wrong. Incidentally they both fell out of an old Bx my dad owned and had to be bonded back on by a windscreen fitter.
Most modern cars have hidden vents, usually in the boot exiting behind the rear bumper.
dillosk8ter
My Cars:

Post by dillosk8ter »

Yeah, think your right. Think it was only the upmarket ealier models {pre '88?} such as 16TRS but not sports models like GTI, GT and Sport. Well thats cleared up that little mystery!! Noticed them on Volvo 240 estates also but those are much smaller. Im hoping {prob in vain, that all this crappy weather means long, hot summer!!!}
dan.2cv
My Cars:

Post by dan.2cv »

Well our window-falling-out model was indeed a 16 TRS!!
Thinking about it, the black mesh stuff bears a striking resemblance to the sort of stuff used in pond filters. Have you actually tried main dealer? They might be able to point you in the right direction if they can't help themselves.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

The BX 16TRS had dark brown perspex windows fitted to the rear quarter posts (C-posts) as standard. I didn't think they did anything - except disintigrate after about 10 years.
//NiSk
dillosk8ter
My Cars:

Post by dillosk8ter »

Pond filter mesh? Good thinking!! Yeah, very similar material....can't do any harm and think theres some knocking round in 'Garage full of crap'.
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

As Dave says the vents are there to let compressed air out of the car (there is actualy a basic valve in place to keep outside air from comming into the car through them (its like a rubber cat flap)). Interestingly the tigra they didnt put one in and they had to alter the electric windows so that the passenger side window comes down by about 1cm when any door is shut other whise you cant shut the doors because of the preasure on the in side of the car...
Andy
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Like the old Vauxhall Velox (late 50's model) - if you slammed the door, the front windscreen popped out!
//NiSk
turbolag

Post by turbolag »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dillosk8ter</i>

Yes. True. but what would they be venting?!? <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Farts!
sorry...but it had to be said!
tl
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

Maybe it was a solution to what happens with CXs - apparently the rear quarterlights are prone to being blown out!
crooser

Post by crooser »

how about the oldfashioned name for the vents,it was once a big hype-through flow ventilation.