Wet carpet, but where's it from?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

born2die
My Cars:

Post by born2die »

i might be off here but pollen filter? I think I might be wrong and i stand to be corrected
jack.dempsey
My Cars: BX TZD @ 250K miles (J reg),
Xantia TD @ 165K miles (R reg),
Xantia 2.1 TD (R reg)
and tow a caravan with them all (not at the same time)

Post by jack.dempsey »

Windscreen leak ?? You've not had a new screen recently have you by any chance.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Heater matrix bulkhead O-rings?
Common problem - they dry up and start leaking - check if you have a glycol taste (but only a little drop!) it's sweet tasting (but not good for you!)
//NiSk
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

If you're not losing coolant, its most likely rain water.
There is a piece of plastic trim on the bottom of the windscreen which covers the wiper motor. This can get cracked, or its sealant can deteriorate which leads to wet passenger carpets. There are also drains at either end of the windscreen which can fill with leaves, blocking the drains.
Another possibility is the air con condenser, if its drain gets blocked it will tend to make the carpets wet (although this happens mostly in warmer weather when you actually use your air con.
Mine had a cracked plastic windscreen trim, which I tried to fix with silicone, it improved but it still leaks and really wants replacing at some point.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

2 nd the above about the plastic trim.Mine has always leaked,under the carpet.I`ve had the black panel sealed,but started to leak again when it became unstuck.Gave up in the end.Still leaking now.Seems to leak in through the heater intake.Undo the screws to the pollen filter & see if they are rusty.(i presume you have a/c)
oscarloco
My Cars:

Post by oscarloco »

I would say the aircon drain it's clogged and dripping into your carpet. Tray putting a piece of newspaper to absorb the water. If it turns yellow or orange, its coolant. If not, the its water.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Mine only leaks under the carpet.The top is dry,but pull the carpet back & it`s soaked.No rust though,yet!I try`d the newspaper trick,with no results.It seems to run down the bulkhead,then behind the carpet on mine.Although the pollen filter housing screws are rusty,there`s never any water in it.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

The carpet is sponge backed, great for holding and moving water about. Pick up the carpet, and it picks up the water with it, so there's no telltale puddles.