abs problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mark8

abs problem

Post by Mark8 »

Does anyone know where i can get a fault code reader/diagnostic tool from,for a 1998 xantia 1.9td (cant seem to find one).Or which pins relate to each abs sensor,so i can check the resistance.
My problem is an intermittant abs light,sometimes on from startup....sometimes after driving a while.....sometimes never.
I have removed and cleaned all sensors and checked connections as best i could......with the above symptoms,i dont think it's an ecu prob.
Cheers
Mark
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

To buy a code reader to do this is going to cost somewhere in the region of £150+ buying secondhand from Ebay.
If you do a search on this forum you will find many posts listing the pins on the connector plug.
I have a code reader myself and could do it for you but location could play a part in that! Otherwise you should be able to get it done locally for something like £25 at any 'decent' garage.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Mark8

Post by Mark8 »

Cheers for links.
I have found the corresponding pin numbers to each sensor.
fos..no reading
fns..1048
ros..1048
rns..1048
I also tested the fos sensor at the connection at the back of engine (really easy to get to.......NOT!!) and still no reading.
From this info...would you say i need to replace the fos sensor,would like a second opinion before more money's gone down the drain......also can anyone tell me which interface is required to do diagnostic's on a 1998 1.9td......OBD,OBD2,EOBD etc etc.
Cheers
Mark
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

I think you'll find that a 98 TD is pre EOBD, therefore specific application only. Take a look in the fusebox near the drivers right knee, is the diagnostic socket a large rectangular one or a rounded rectangle one with 16 pins?
Mark8

Post by Mark8 »

It is a large rectangle socket with 17 pins.
Cheers
Mark
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

No reading from front O'S sensor means it has failed and will have to be repaired or replaced. From the sound of what you have said you can remove it quite easily and from my experience the problem may well lie in the lead.
Have a good look at the lead for kinks or other damage and then cut the lead on the sensor side and test for a circuit betwen the screen and the central conductor. Keep going until you find a circuit. Then have a look at the plug end and see if you will be able to remove the plug and re-solder it. Either remove the plug or check for continuity of the plug and wire.
To repair get some co-ax cable of about the same size with a twisted central conductor not a single wire like TV aerial cable. Carefully unpic the screen to expose the inner conductor and bare about 1 inch or more each side. Twist these together and solder, then carefully tape to make the central insulation about the original diameter. Then spread the screen wire back from each side and twist and solder together and re-insulate.
When re-installing make sure the joint (or any other part of the cable for that matter) isn't curved or bent when the suspension moves.
I found 2 rear and 1 front sensors had failed on my BX due to corrosion of the screen. Repaired about 5 years ago, 1 back not touched since and repaired in car as sensor impossible to remove. 1 front failed after about a year but repaired again and still working after more careful routing of cable, and one rear sensor itself failed 2 years ago and now replaced with expensive new.
Jeremy
Mark8

Post by Mark8 »

I think you're right jeremy........went for a drive yesterday......light went out,so when i got home.....i checked fos sensor and got a reading of 1052.
Sounds like a lot of work to repair the cable (possibly not reliable)........annoying when there does'nt seem to be a problem with the sensor itself.
Cheers
Mark
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

The conductors usually break in the part of the cable close to the sensor/suspension leg, since this part gets the most abuse. I have sucessfully grafted ín about 1 1/2 feet of new cable from about 3" from the sensor. The repair has worked reliably for a couple of years now.
//NiSk
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Mark,
from your description of the diagnostic socket your car is pre-EOBD.
Also bear in mind that EOBD does not work on ABS, it just deals with a few elements of vehicle emissions.