Help - Smoking Auxiliary Heater

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

AirCooledHeaven
Locked user account

Post by AirCooledHeaven »

I have a Synergie 2.0 HDi with 55,000 on the clock. Some weeks ago I noticed a small sooty patch on the drive next to the offside front wheel. I didn't think anything of it until today. Having started from cold I stopped at a junction after about a mile and smoke, a lot of smoke started pouring out from under the front wheel arch. I traced it to a pipe that runs up to the 'Thermo Top' auxiliary heater in the engine bay. As I understand it this unit helps heat the coolant when the engine is cold by 'burning' diesel. The smoking stops once the engine is hot so I assume the heater cuts out once the coolant is up to temp.
Anyone know what the likely problem could be? Is it likely to be an expensive fix? Could a competent DIYer fix it? This unit looks eminently serviceable but I fear a dealer would just replace it as a black box. I could do with a quick fix as I'm taking the family away in a couple of days. As a short term fix could I just remove the fuse that powers it? Will the engine run from cold without it?
Thanks for any advice.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

This any help?
viewtopic.php?t=9690
jeremy
Last edited by xantia_v6 on 26 Jun 2022, 17:22, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixing link
AirCooledHeaven
Locked user account

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jeremy</i>

This any help?
viewtopic.php?t=9690
jeremy
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Well the smoke is definitely coming from this Webasto device on my synergie. The question is why has it started smoking and what is the cause? Could I run without it short term by removing the fuse, I can live without interior heating for a few miles.
Last edited by xantia_v6 on 26 Jun 2022, 17:21, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixing link
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I saw a vyukxhall in a cloud of diesel smoke a while back. Seems the heaters develop faults after a while, and I suspect we're going to see more of it. Possibly the fan has stopped working, or the injector is blocked, or the pressure regulator is kaput. I'd just pull the fuse or connector for now. You might get an ECU warning light though [:o)]
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

The Webasto (or Eberspecher - could be either) diesel heaters also have glow plugs (!) and these need replacing occasionally. You'll probably find its just that. But you can stop it temporarily by removing the in-line fuse without causing any problems (shame though, thay are really useful on cold days!)
//NiSk
AirCooledHeaven
Locked user account

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by NiSk</i>

The Webasto (or Eberspecher - could be either) diesel heaters also have glow plugs (!) and these need replacing occasionally. You'll probably find its just that. But you can stop it temporarily by removing the in-line fuse without causing any problems (shame though, thay are really useful on cold days!)
//NiSk
This one is a Webasto Thermo Top. Why would the glow plug cause smoking, incomplete combustion? Is replacing the glowplug a DIY job?
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

I've no idea how the aux heater is fitted in the Synergie, on my XM its a real pig to get at, it's tucked inside the front LH wing in front of the wheel/behind the inner wing. I havn't got round to changing mine yet - the very thought makes me depressed after removing the inner wing just to get a look at it. It also seems to have a wiring harness fully in class with Citroën's own! and lots of water pipes to worry about. Theoretically, one should be able to remove the top cover and then get at the glowplug - but in my case that means removing the front wheel, inner wing, etc, etc.
I hope that the installation on your Synergie is more straight forward (though knowing Citroën I doubt it!)
//NiSk
AirCooledHeaven
Locked user account

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by NiSk</i>

I've no idea how the aux heater is fitted in the Synergie, on my XM its a real pig to get at, it's tucked inside the front LH wing in front of the wheel/behind the inner wing. I havn't got round to changing mine yet - the very thought makes me depressed after removing the inner wing just to get a look at it. It also seems to have a wiring harness fully in class with Citroën's own! and lots of water pipes to worry about. Theoretically, one should be able to remove the top cover and then get at the glowplug - but in my case that means removing the front wheel, inner wing, etc, etc.
I hope that the installation on your Synergie is more straight forward (though knowing Citroën I doubt it!)
//NiSk
Surprisingly it is mounted above the driver side headlight in the engine bay, probably the most accessible item there is. I managed to speak to a webasto service agent, said it was probably carbon build up around the glow pin leading to incomplete combustion. Told me it wasn't a DIY fix and would cost £480 [V], but then he would wouldn't he! I wonder if a couple of tankfuls of quality diesel with fuel injector cleaner added might help?