I can't afford this any more!!!!!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jkirkwood
My Cars:

I can't afford this any more!!!!!!

Post by jkirkwood »

Cit Berlingo 2.0 HDi 19 months/16000 miles old.
I keep an eye on fuel consumption by filling to the shutoff each time tankful to tankful, and keep a watching eye as a tankful goes down.
Fuel consumption measured that way is typically 40mpg, best 54mpg[:D] over a single tankful.
The latest tankful has been plummeting. I did 134 miles and topped up early: 26 litres - that works out to 25 mpg, which is not good at all. Not at all[xx(].
Can't see any leaks, from a quick look and I can't smell any diesel.
Any ideas anyone[?]
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

2 ideas, actually:
1- Change fuel filter and air filter, even if the maintenance schedules not to.
2- Use BP ultimate diesel.
My 2 pennies for free[:)]
Jon

Post by Jon »

Hi
Even although the recent cold weather may account for a slight increase in fuel consumption, there is no way that an HDI can be doing 25MPG! Is the Blingo still under warranty? I would be inclined to take it to the Dealer, explain the problem and get them to read the fault codes and apply any recent software updates.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Well if the fuel consumption is now that bad, it certainly needs to be investigated.
It certainly needs the basics I.E. air, and fuel filters checked, and or changed.
The common rail diesel from any manufacturer is very dependant on it's electronics to ensure that it runs correctly, and it should certainly have this attended to by the manufacturer if it's still under warranty.
madasafish

Post by madasafish »

Have you checked the air intake and filter? A mouse/other rodent could have stored its nuts/made a nest there. (Seriously).
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I know about animal problems - my brother has a MX% and was grumbling about misfiring which ws thought to be plug leads. however thought we'd have a quick look around and took the air filter apart (square - same as BX 16valve and TD) - There beautifully laid out was his friendly squirrel's stash or what remained - about 20 hazelnuts - all carefully opened with small holes where the kernel had been extracted!
Made no difference when we removed them!
Seriously if the thing is using this much fuel it must be going somewhere! Diesels don't just drink the stuff even if they are electronic. So either its leaking - which you say is not the problem - or it must be smoking or getting extremely hot (as in melting!) If its smoking I suppose the catalyst will do its job for a while before sooting up altogether.
Jeremy