AX GT replacement carb ideas?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

C.J.
My Cars:

AX GT replacement carb ideas?

Post by C.J. »

Hello everyone...first post! [:p]
Got an AX GT, one of the first too...Jan 1988, 41,000 miles only.
Use it for sprinting and track days at various circuits around the North West, and it really is a little flyer, excellent fun, and has given a few Minis a scare or two over the last 7 years! [8D]
Have had basic mods carried out on the suspension, exhaust, head, and the final drive has been lowered for rapid acceleration.
Only fly in the ointment now, and without the ability to spend thousands on bigger mods, is the carb.
Anyone know what would be a good choice for increased performance. Some one suggested the carb off a 3litre Ford Capri would be en excellent choice...if I can find one! Another suggestion was the 1.6 MG Maestro carb...weren't they very troublesome though?
Suggestions on this and any other mods would be very welcome.
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

Can tell you about a straight swap. Peugeot 205XS or GT. Same engine as the AX but get the pug with the twin webers attatched and take the whole lot (manifold carbs etc) and bolt it straight on and off you go.
C.J.
My Cars:

Post by C.J. »

Thanks for that Stinkwheel! Any idea what sort of performance increase I could expect from that setup?
Better start trawling the breakers yards now.
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

Im not really sure what you could expect but those twin webers certainly give a much free-er flow through, will need the airbox too.
Im told that with a properly set up set of these and nothing else will increase the performance to above that of an AX GTi.
gardenpeas
My Cars:

Post by gardenpeas »

you could try bike carbs to be a bit different but this will cost but it would be worth it to say i got fireblade carbs :)
CommY
My Cars:

Post by CommY »

What size is the engine??
macaroni
My Cars:

Post by macaroni »

The twin Webers from an early xs are NOT a performance mod and the engine is not the same. This is the XY8 engine, with gearbox in sump and isn't a good motor. Do not do it.
Best bet are twin Weber 40 DCOEs but a suitable manifold is hard to find and quite expensive (try chadil)
For my xs (same engine as ax gt) I have used a Weber 38DGAS as used on early Ford 3litre v6s. This should bolt straight onto the existing inlet manifold and gives an extra 15bhp and electrifying throttle response. You have to cut the choke cable to use it. I don't use it so didn't bother. My car gave 106bhp at flywheel, 87bhp at wheels with this carb on.