Xantia - Power Steering.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stevieO

Xantia - Power Steering.

Post by stevieO »

When I went out this morning and started the Xantia, the steering was super stiff i.e. like there was no power. This only lasted about fifty yards before returning to normal. Any idea what this might be. Fluid levels are ok. Was advised at MOT couple of weeks ago that steering rack was on way out although this was not put on slip as an advisory. Could the two be linked. Any advice greatly appreciated.
Xantia 1.9td 149K
Jon

Post by Jon »

Loss of power steering following a cold start, that then improves, is generally recognised as being caused by a weak HP pump. What happens is that one or two of the pistons inside the pump do not move until the LHM and pump warm up. This is exactly the same problem that I had with my BX. It was cured by a recon pump.
The only cure is generally a new or correctly reconditioned pump.
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

my xantia suffered from this and a change of lhm and cleaning the filters sorted it.
stevieO

Post by stevieO »

Many thanks for all the responses. As i've never changed the lhm, I'll start with that and new filters and see what happens.
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Change it for Hydraflush instead...then back to LHM. Whilst I've never used it myself (still got 5 litres sitting at home), it can apparently cure more problems than you ever thought possible!