Converting Petrol to diesel

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

q_007
My Cars:

Converting Petrol to diesel

Post by q_007 »

Hi Guys
I crashed my ZX TD yesterday, and although it is probably repairable, i am thinking of getting another higher spec from ebay (one with ABS) and change the engine over.
Apart from the engine, gearbox, exhaust and speedo - what else will i need to transfer?
Will i need to transfer fuel pipes/fuel tank etc cause i wanna go veg power in the summer!
Q
ps - anyone wanna buy a 2.0 8v engine?
DarkendViper

Post by DarkendViper »

I would have thought fuel lines and tank. Then there's the electrics. Does the petrol and diesel share the same loom? Driveshafts? engine mounts? radiator? probably other little bits that get forgot!
What state is the 2.0 8v engine in?
andycarter
My Cars:

Post by andycarter »

Fuel filler neck on the petrol model may be smaller dia to prevent putting diesel nozzle in.
No glow plug warning light on dash = swap instrument clusters
Could probably be done roughly with fairly few wiring alterations, but I'm guessing to get it 100% factory spec would be alot more work.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Some people recon ABS is useless in snow! - some cars were fitted with a switch to turn it off! Sometimes a locked wheel will build up a bank of snow which slows the car.
Presumably the higher spec one you buy will have an engine - why change it? Having done this sort of thing in the past its a job that goes on foor ever.
jeremy
DarkendViper

Post by DarkendViper »

I can agree with the above post. I did a 205 Mi16 conversion for a friend and the amount of time we spent finding different bits that would fit. Manifolds was a big one.
I want to put an Mi16 engine into a ZX, already got the running car, a 1.9i Volcane. I shouldn't have the same probs with this project as the 205 as there is more room in the engine bay.
Ste
crapday
My Cars:

Post by crapday »

why not just buy a diesel xantia, you get them cheap on ebay.
q_007
My Cars:

Post by q_007 »

I basically crashed my car yesterday, and won a 2.0 8v on ebay. I need the diesel for economy and its quite nippy for what it is. I was looking at the volcane anyway for the bumpers, interior, alloys, and suspension/brake setup!
As it has abs, and is a facelift model, i figured i'd be better off swapping the mechanics of the diesel over (drop sub frame complete with ancilleries and mount onto other one!)
I considered a xantia, but its too big for a commuter, plus the zx being lighter is faster and more economical. I have a e34 tds as well, so i dont want another car!
Didnt think of the filler for the fuel tank! and there should be less wiring on the diesel i suppose!
Also, how easy is it to change the heater matrix, as i am thinking of doing this whilst the engine is out! (as well as the cambelt, and clutch - anything else i should consider?)
Q
q_007
My Cars:

Post by q_007 »

Oh - this is the car if anyone is interested in the engine.
No silly offers please!
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... RK:MEWN:IT
Q
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">q_007 wrote :
Also, how easy is it to change the heater matrix, as i am thinking of doing this whilst the engine is out! (as well as the cambelt, and clutch - anything else i should consider?)<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Driveshaft CV bellows
Driveshaft/diff seals
Crank oil seal behind flywheel
Cam & crank oil seals
Would have said the Octopus but this is not a green Citroen [8D]
DarkendViper

Post by DarkendViper »

I run a ZX 2.0 8v as a daily runner and do 60-70 miles a day. I used to have a Xantia TD and the difference that it costs me is a £10 per month. I don't drive the ZX hard all the time but do cover some fast twisty roads where it gets pushed nicely.
I wouldn't thought that doing the change would be worth the time and effort unless it will save quite a bit of money on fuel. I get 40mpg from my ZX at 80 on the motorway. It drops down to 31/32 when on A roads pushing it.
Ste
q_007
My Cars:

Post by q_007 »

Is there any cheap citroen mechanics out there willing to do the swap? - I wont have much chance in the near future, and i really need a car to get around in!
Q