xantia brake mod ????

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Pat
My Cars:

xantia brake mod ????

Post by Pat »

I tried to modify my brake pedal as per thread the other day , but I could not get the cylinder off the pedal.
Can anyone tell me (in detail) how to do it ?
Does it screw off or pull off, as I tried , but as space is limited I could not really pull hard enough.
P.S. Had the pads & discs changed today. Grand total £ 188.!!
but now they are telling me the h.brake cable o/s has seized as there is a lot of movement on the lever. It goes almost to top but holds car well enough albeit on 1 wheel according to the mechanic.
What could the problem be with the h.b. cable?
Thanks guys I love the forum
john alexander
My Cars:

Post by john alexander »

Hi Pat. I did mine last week, if you lift the pedal up, with your other hand pull the cylinder out.I used a flat screwdriver behind the collar and gently levered it out, its just a snug fit.Regards john.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

It just pulls out Pat, wiggle it while pulling on it, and I mean pull.
The handbrake cable outer sheath gets damaged where it passes through the guide loops on the suspension leg, this lets water and crap in, eventually the steel spiral that gives it its strength rusts through, the outer sheath then breaks in two.
Either buy the cables from GSF or your main dealer, there are a lot of dodgy cables out there that don't fit properly, wrong lengths and over size nipples are the main problem with them.
Dave
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I think you'll find that Quinton Hazell do a handbrake cable with about 1 ft of very tough reinforcement where the cable goes through the front guide. Got 2 on my BX and if I recall correctly there was a common cable for Xantia and BX and it cost about £12. Fitted easily on both sides and one has been on there for at least 4 years now.
jeremy
Pat
My Cars:

Post by Pat »

Thanks guys for your help. I,ll try and pull it out on saturday.
By the way, whats a decent price for changing the h.brake cables? as I´ve been quoted £ 150 plus vat.
Extortionate or what?
CommY
My Cars:

Post by CommY »

That's not a what, that's pure EXTORSION. If your near to Darlington I'll do it for half that amount.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

If you read Haynes you would think changing a Xantia handbrake cable is the Devil's own job. I had one go and put it off for this reason, using a temporary clamp on the cable. Had forgotten about it till the MOT tester pulled it off on the brake test... Anyway, I changed the O/S cable in less than 1 hour, and that included jacking up my Visa to get the axle stands out from under it, so £150 is WAY over the top. Getting the cable in and out under the exhaust shield is a bit of a fiddle (esp as you can't see it!) but easy enough if you think through it. Get the car well jacked up as you need to get in under the side behind the Passenger side wheel to free the cable. Make sure you get the correct cable, as the O/S and N/S are different lengths on the Xantia.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

I had to do 3 handbrake cables on my first Xantia.
The guides on the front struts had a nasty habbit of wearing through the cable outer, which let water in. Cue the ineviable rust and its new cable time because the cable outer breaks and the cable sticks at that point. The newer Xantia has plastic inserts in these guides, the older one now has rubber hose cable tied in...