HDI belts

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

batwad
My Cars:

HDI belts

Post by batwad »

Did the first service on my 306 since buying it this weekend. Not sure if it's just me, but it feels smoother and more responsive for it. [8D]
The mileage is now at 72k so I'll be getting the timing belt done next month, despite Peugeot recommending 96k [;)] Alas this is one task I don't have the time, tools or skills for so will leave to the experts at my fave local indie garage. Should I get anything else changed at the same? I had the water pump changed at the same time as the belt on my old XUDTE; is this a good rule to apply to the HDI engines too [?]
Also, I noticed the auxilary belt was looking a bit worn. I reckon I could probably do this one myself. Has anyone had experience changing one? How tricky is it, what's access like, etc.?
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by batwad</i>

Did the first service on my 306 since buying it this weekend. Not sure if it's just me, but it feels smoother and more responsive for it. [8D]
The mileage is now at 72k so I'll be getting the timing belt done next month, despite Peugeot recommending 96k [;)] Alas this is one task I don't have the time, tools or skills for so will leave to the experts at my fave local indie garage. Should I get anything else changed at the same? I had the water pump changed at the same time as the belt on my old XUDTE; is this a good rule to apply to the HDI engines too [?]
The Aux belt is quite easy to get off once you have fashioned the coorect tool to get the leverage on one of the pulleys- space is tight which makes it harder- on Xsara you have about an inch or less gap between bodywork. You will prob need to work from through the wheel arch too.
Also, I noticed the auxilary belt was looking a bit worn. I reckon I could probably do this one myself. Has anyone had experience changing one? How tricky is it, what's access like, etc.?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

As the HDI and the XUD are similar, it probably is a good idea to change the pump too. Keep in mind the pulley on the crank can start to separate and may need replacing too. If you are getting the timing belt done get them to replace the aux belt at the same time, they have to take it off anyway. I changed the aux belt on the Berlingo and it was a bit of a pain to do.
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

Thats interesting, my response to your post disappeared into the ether.... spooky! [}:)]
Taking it off (aux belt) was tricky in terms of room and getting leverage on one of the pullies- little room and bodywork tended to get in the way.