C3 problem & Parts prices

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

C3 problem & Parts prices

Post by alan s »

Just looking for another opinion.
A guy out here has a C3 auto (1.4 I think it is, and he had a problem the other day with it starting. Took to a dealer, the one he bought it from, and was told "one of the injectors has blown and needs replacing."
Question; how does an injector nozzle fail apart from clogging up? In the case of it having to be replaced, how much would it cost for the injector (one only) plus labour to fit?
Incidentally, the car is 2 weeks out of warranty and he was told by the dealer that "things don't last forever you know." The car has been meticulously serviced by this dealer who sold it to him in the first place.
I think it's done either 40 or 60K klms (25 - 35,000 miles)
Alan S
Jon

Post by Jon »

Alan,
To be honest, the only person who might be able to help on the tech aspect is Wheeler, lets hope that he drops by. Assuming that this is a 1.4 Auto with the TU3JP 1.4 lump, then the actual injector is Cit 1984E0 which is GBP £90.63, and then there is the injector ramp 198535 which is £GBP £22.46.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Alan - sounds like an electrical problem if the mechanic said it had blown not blocked?
Jeremy
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jon</i>

Alan,
To be honest, the only person who might be able to help on the tech aspect is Wheeler, lets hope that he drops by. Assuming that this is a 1.4 Auto with the TU3JP 1.4 lump, then the actual injector is Cit 1984E0 which is GBP £90.63, and then there is the injector ramp 198535 which is £GBP £22.46.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Yep, that's what it is alright, a 1.4 auto and we're talking ONE injector nozzle for 90 Quid????? Bleedin' 'ell what a shocker that is. How do they differ from earlier models, say a BX as a comparison?
If it is electrical, what is in there that could short or burn out?
Another point is if one nozzle stuffed up, what's his chances of the others doing the same? After all they are the same age and have done identical amounts of work.
What is an "Injector ramp"? (Apart from being something for C3 owners to walk up before they hang 'emselves if all the injectors go pop.)
Alan S
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

ooo, ooo I know about this one. A few months back I was in the local main dealer with the wife looking at the Pluriel when she bumped into an old mate 'Roger' who she thought worked for Reno. Anyhow he said that he'd been called in on his weekend off to look at a C3, again with injector problems. On questioning he told me that C3 early models are horrible for number 3 injector failing. This was due to a problem with oil leaking onto the wiring causing an electrical problem or the electrics getting too hot as they'er wired close to the manifold or block. Either way he said the usual repair is to replace the injector and re-route the wiring away from the heat area. Hope this helps.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

it will most likely be number 4 that has failed caused by water dripping from the windscreen washer jet where the pipe goes on,change the pipe aswell & make sure it is a tight fit.
alan- injectors can fail electricaly either like i said above or by the coil inside it breaking down just the same as it can in a relay.you can do a resistance check on it across the two pins,it should be about 12.5 ohms on this type of injector.
jon- im also curious,whats an injector ramp ??
Jon

Post by Jon »

Nick
This baby:(number 1)
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

In other words, the "ramp" is what we refer to as the "rail"?
Incidentally, the nozzles look exactly like those in a BX according to that sketch. What's the difference?
Alan S
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

Betcha the fuel rail is plastic, so they *always* replace it "just in case". Possibly it gets broken when you try to remove the injectors.
Alan I betcha the BX injectors are ~90quid each too.
BTW: I've hard the HDi injectors are horrific ... Along the lines of 450quid each (I'm hopefully wrong).
seeya,
Shane L.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by DoubleChevron</i>

Alan I betcha the BX injectors are ~90quid each too.
BTW: I've hard the HDi injectors are horrific ... Along the lines of 450quid each (I'm hopefully wrong).
seeya,
Shane L.
BX injectors are approx A$80 each I've been told this morning and from what I've seen on GSF on-line shop, HDi injectors would be about 1/10th the price you quoted.
Alan S
Jon

Post by Jon »

HDi injectors are in fact fantastically expensive, how does £232.97 & VAT grab you? EACH!
Citroen 1980H8. [:0]
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

even better than that,the injectors in a 2.8 HDi Relay van are around £480 +VAT
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

OUCH, £480 + VAT for injectors!
Does anyone know of anybody offering service / exchange HDI injectors yet?
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Jon</i>

HDi injectors are in fact fantastically expensive, how does £232.97 & VAT grab you? EACH!
Citroen 1980H8. [:0]
What were those I was looking at then?
Not being all that "Diesel literate" I saw some diesel ones on GSF for about 45 quid.
Even with all that, how often do the injectors need replacing?
I've heard of diesel ones needing "servicing" but in all honesty, apart from needing "O" ring and end cap kits, do they often fail (not allowing for accidental damage for various reasons)?
There's a company out here who claims to "recondition" them. Apart from what I mentioned above, what else could you do to recondition them? I thought it might be a bit like spheres; regas = $X recondition (regas and paint) = $XX [:D][}:)]
Alan S
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

I've just been informed that on the car in question, it appears number 1 was the culprit; anybody know any reason for that one to go?
Alan S