Thought I'd say hello, and a few questions

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dean36014
My Cars: 1991 Citroen Bx 17tgd
1991 Citroen Bx St Tropez
1994 Citroen Xm 2 litre turbo estate
1998 Citroen XM 16v
2004 Citroen C2 1.1sx

Thought I'd say hello, and a few questions

Post by dean36014 »

Hi, been a lurker for a long while now, and always found loads of usefull info on here.
My faithful 1995 xantia diesel has finally reached the age where its not viable to keep it on the road. I've had it 6 years and it has just clocked up 150k. I can honestly say its the best and most reliable.....yes i did say reliable car i've ever had. But, the heater matrix is starting to leak, the original clutch has now due for replacement, and the hyraulic pump is taking an age to lift it up. Other than tyres, which its always seem to consume at a voriacous rate, my total outlay, on repairs and maintainence in six years has been alot less than a grand. the worse bill was for the clutch clip, which bust on holiday, and resulted in a £250 bill from a main dealer.
Anyway, the search was on for a replacement, and i got one this weekend. T reg 1.9SD, newer shape, bog standard with next to no extra's. The one thing i didn't want in the new car was a sunroof, as my head was always in contact with the headlining on the old SX, due to the lower height because of the sunroof. So this fits the bill, no fancy electronics to go wrong just ABS and 4 airbags.
Anyway, went to insure it tonight, and ****, they wanted over a 100 quid more to cover it than the old one, and there's only 6 months left on the policy[:(!].When i asked why, they said well it is a turbo, to which i replied is it[?] Apparently its an LPT, I never even saw a turbo, and its certainly no faster than the old non turbo one. So whats this LPT all about then.
I've also discovered its got an immobilser, unfortunately I've only got one key, meaning a trip to the main dealer is required for a spare. Any idea how much, will there be change from a ton for a pint[?][?][:D]
I can't seem to find out much about the SD model, I know its the poverty spec, so I assume someone must have specced the side airbags or are they standard on the series 2.
What weak points are there on the series 2 compared to the older model, are the door locks still prone to jamming shut, or have they overcome that now?
Thanks for the info over the years.
Dean
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Jazz,
No problem, as far as I know the only Xantia turbo diesel that didn't have an intercooler as standard was the light pressure turbo version badged '1.9 SD' instead of 'Turbo D' down the side.
Nick

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nick
'97 Xantia 1.9TD 135000m
'86 BX 16RS series 1 144000m
jeremy
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

I think the Light Pressure Turbo put out about the same power,but more torque than a 1.9D.Proberly to do with emisions maybe,the fact that it has a turbo.Parkers price guide book will give you all the info on the model,performance,equipment etc.There is a web site,but i dont think you can get the info on there.
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

Welcome Dean!
I think you should shop around for your insurance, try some online insurers and see if you can get a better deal.
I wonder how many other lurkers we have out there?
Mosser
My Cars:

Post by Mosser »

Whatcar.co.uk website has all the specs on pretty much all cars new and old,
Click on the link below and it will take you direct to the spec for your 1.9sd
http://www.whatcar.co.uk/RoadTest_FullD ... &RT=184794
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Curious - 71 BHP and 90 lb ft torque are the same as the figures as our ZX 1.9D and 16+ to 60 would fit with this being the NA engine.
jeremy
citroennut
My Cars:

Post by citroennut »

for insurance try www.confused.com you only have to input info once and they search around 20 ins co's and for loads of money saving tips- we all do , don't we, go to www.moneysavingexpert.com
cheers
nridley
My Cars:

Post by nridley »

Regarding your insurance - I would stick with what you have if you're only half way through your current policy. If you cancel it, you are liable to lose your no claims bonus for this year (unless you had maximum last year so this year makes no difference) and also encounter termination charges that, no doubt, will probably equal any saving that you make going elsewhere. It's a bit of a kick in the teeth I know!
nridley
My Cars:

Post by nridley »

Also, out of curiosity - how much did you pay for your new Xantia and what is the mileage on it? Mines hit 166k, also taking an age to rise with a very small leak coming from the hydraulic pump and a seized brake caliper. To top things off, the windscreen wash has developed a split somewhere and my MOT is due the day after tomorrow!!! It's still got such a good engine in it I am reluctant to let it go - do you think its worth fixing it up?
dean36014
My Cars: 1991 Citroen Bx 17tgd
1991 Citroen Bx St Tropez
1994 Citroen Xm 2 litre turbo estate
1998 Citroen XM 16v
2004 Citroen C2 1.1sx

Post by dean36014 »

Thanks for the info, i decided, to go with the insurance, after haggling it down a bit. the car is insured in my wifes name as i have a van for my use, and she didn't want to lose 6 months towards another years no claims.
After a little bit of searching i can get it renewed for about £340 fully comp, which is roughly what we used to pay on the old one. do feel a bit conned though, If i cancel the policy they want 50 quid as its on a pay montly basis. they won't be getting my money when the renewal comes though.
The spec on the website sight sems a bit different to mine, maybe someone went through a few options on mine. Its got side air bags, immobilser, metalic paint, all which aren't standard according to the info on that site.
As for the turbo, its just as slow as the old one!, performance isn't really an issue, i prefer the non turbo ones. as it spends 95% of its life pottering around town, the gear ratio's seem more suited.the turbo versions seem a bit high geared for pottering.
How much? 1500 quid, seemed reasonable, full service history, full mot, and seems very honest.Its probably a bit OTT on price, but I looked at a few dogs before i found this one. I just hope its as good as the old one was.
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

There are certainly a few dogs about as you say, Dean. It seems that many owners run their cars until the spheres are flat and then decide it's too costly to replace them all. Hence the cars for sale all need new spheres to start with. Anyhow, that's what I found when I was looking for mine.
You said it was the newer shape; I believe the Mk II Xantias are heavier on the insurance than the earlier models. Presumably much of this is to do with the extra airbags - they are costly to replace when they get set off.
With the turbo models (I don't know if the same applies to the NA) you can vastly approve the pottering around town ability by adjusting the pump settings. You can vastly improve the response and speed too!
kyle_k

Post by kyle_k »

citroennut - there are another couple of sites ive used as well - insurancewide (though they dont really compare sites - they just suggest ones you might want to try), and www.quotezone.co.uk which is a bit like confused, but with less forms to fill in. Have you tried any of them?
aengus
My Cars:

Post by aengus »

that's a pretty big hike!
when I switched from an XM 2.0i non-turbo to an XM V6 it cost me an extra £48, and that's with 25K miles a year and business use too.
definately find another insurer when renewal is due