Is there a way to rebuild a hidraulic pump?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wonderd

Is there a way to rebuild a hidraulic pump?

Post by wonderd »

I have an old BX pump laying in my garage that i think has a lot of dirt in it and was leaking when it was in my last BX, is there a way to open it and rebuild it or atleast clean it and fix the leaking?
Elad.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

I tried once [:(]
nope - not by normal DIY means [xx(]
1) special tools needed to remove the drivebelt pulley not damaging it ...
2) removing the housing from pump body. Can be done by carefully applying moderate pressure to the feed hose stud - from another pump.
3) finding new piston return springs. No spares available. MUST be replaced once pump is disassembled - or the whole job is a lotteri.
O-rings and bearings I believe would be possible to source from machinery shops.
wonderd

Post by wonderd »

So, what you are saying is if it's broken toss it...[:)]
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

IIRC, the Autobooks DS manual has disassembly instructions and lists part numbers for the springs etc. Doesn't mean that they're readily available, of course :-)
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Strangely the rest of the hydraulic system is very repairable and Citroen will supply bits. They must have intended that the pump wasn't - but don't really see why.
jeremy
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

Given that exchange pumps are available (via our kind sponsors here) they must be repairable, but reconditioning needs some reasonably serious engineering know-how and tools, I suspect.