whining from zsara

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ian01

whining from zsara

Post by ian01 »

can anyone help have a whining noise when driving,if i dip the clutch it stops. could it be the clutch release bearing? any idea's
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

I like the spelling. Anyhow, does this noise accure when driving or when at a stand still and you put / take your foot of the cluch pedal. Other thing to check is gearbox oil, any in? if so what colour? do you need to add any? Next question what size engine and is it diesel?
ian01

Post by ian01 »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Stuart McB</i>

I like the spelling. Anyhow, does this noise accure when driving or when at a stand still and you put / take your foot of the cluch pedal. Other thing to check is gearbox oil, any in? if so what colour? do you need to add any? Next question what size engine and is it diesel?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
only when driving and stops when clutch depressed, its 1.6 petrol
cheers ian
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

If it stops when the clutch is pressed then it's not the clutch, it's something in the gearbox - possibly a main shaft bearing. Try changing the oil first, and refilling to the correct level with the correct Total 75/80 gear box oil, and see where that gets you. If it's just a bit noisy, it's probably not worth fixing until you absolutely can't stand it anymore...
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

So noise when driving - same in all gears? same on drive / overrun
When stationary with engine running: no pressure on clutch - noise? pressure on clutch - neutral no noise? presure on clutch, gear engaged - no noise?
If it makes the noise with the car at standstill with no gear engaged it must be the clutch release bearing or the primary gear/bearings. If it stops when the clutch is depressed a little and the load on the release bearing is increased a little but not enough to break the clutch and it changes - then release bearing. If it stops when the clutch is broken - and the car is in gear - release bearing as gearbox is stopped.
If its gearbox I would expect it to vary with ratio and from drive to overrun. If its final drive I would expect it to vary from drive to overrun. Driveshafts - CV joints tend to vary with load and turning, RH support bearing would probably be load sensitive again. Wheel bearings tend to be noisy when turning corners and may be affected by gentle applications of the brakes.
jeremy