xantia going cheep

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jakeuk
My Cars:

xantia going cheep

Post by jakeuk »

while i have at least average DIY skills & am not worried about tackling most mechanical jobs, i have very limited experience of car faults/problems so need some experienced thoughts on my latest worry...since i got my xantia the steering has always had the slightest pull to the right.but just lately,when steering left there is the most awful cheeping sound coming from i think the drivers side front wheel...only way i can describe it is like a bird chirping
any ideas on what the problem could would be appreciated
cheers
jake
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Sounds a bit like a caliper partially jammed on.
If it is, that's the answer to both of your problems.
Alan S
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Could also be a wheel bearing - may make a difference if you apply the brake while turning, re-distributing the load slightly may change things.
Alan's suggestion of brakes could be the cause - I'd start by taking the wheel off and having a good look around - and check that the handbrake cable isn't fouling the wheel rim while you are there!
Jeremy
jakeuk
My Cars:

Post by jakeuk »

thanks for quick responses guys i should say,it cheeps even if wheel is only nudged a millimetre or two
i did considder wheel bearing myself and also i did put new pads on the front recently but the whole job seemed to go so smoothly i was surprised....suppose i need to get in there & have peep
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

If it is a high pitched noise, it may be due to the tin heat shield rubbing on the brake disc, particularly if you replaced the pads recently, or even a stone trapped in there somewhere.
jakeuk
My Cars:

Post by jakeuk »

its sorted......
got 2 new tyres as recommended at MOT...had asked for tracking to be checked which the guys duely did for me and as suspectected it was slightly out,(we're talking milimetres)just enough to cause the slightest pull to the right but more annoyingly that bleeding cheep cheep noise when turnining left or even when merely correcting left from the right pull.
now u might say i'm easily pleased but i had smile from ear to ear all the way home from the tyre shop.[:D]
once again ... a big THANKS for all your help[:)]