picasso gear box oil leak

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

schummy10

picasso gear box oil leak

Post by schummy10 »

hi iv a leak of gearbox oil its were the driveshaft inserts into the gearbox!!!
is there a seal that fits into the gearbox there and is it easly changed? whats the procedure? big job?
car is a citroen picasso 2.0hdi
advice welcomed!!
thanks schummy
gjb02
My Cars:

Post by gjb02 »

Depends which side!!
If its the RHS driveshaft that runs through a support bearing and can be a bugger to get out! The LHS driveshaft is far easier to remove.
Drain the gearbox first!
You will have to remove the offending driveshaft to change the seal.Haynes book-o-lies details the shaft removal and refitting.
Once the shaft is removed it's just a case of carefully prising the old seal out, and squarely pushing the new one in. A large socket or a sequence of opposite taps (back and forth from one side to the other gradually pushing the seal in) with a drift will insert one squarely.
All depends on what level of experience you have.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

NOTE :
When in serting the driveaxles - be VERY careful the splines does not cut/damage the seal lip !
I believe genuine seal parts from Citroen contains a plastic protector exactly for this purpose.
Otherwise make up one yourself with a piece of cardboard or plastic cover from a display package.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Them oil seals don't cost much from Citroen. And as the guys say it aint a big job but the supporrt bracket is a pain. Put aside a morning to do with out cursing and swearing. Have partner handy with coffee and toast.
schummy10

Post by schummy10 »

hi guys
i was under the car this afternoon and i was able to wedge a the shaft out of the gearbox with a screw driver it springs in and out.
is this meant to do this?
and it the left hand side im refering to.
schummy
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Yep.
The axle must have some means of following the suspension movements.
The inner TRIjoint will have a spring slightly pressing out the axle to avoid it moving back and forth producing knocking during drive.