loss of power, poss maf failure??

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mosser
My Cars:

loss of power, poss maf failure??

Post by Mosser »

My 1997 Xantia 1.8i 16v with 133,000 miles on the clock has recently been loosing power, its got to the point where my wifes renault scenic 1.6i is more powerfull than my car,
I have found that sometimes if i redline it for a few seconds i can get full power back for a while but it soone goes again,
My thoughts are the maf sensor, but is there anyway of testing it ?, or can you think of anything else that might be causing the problem?, i used to clean My seat leon's maf in carb cleaner as it was the hot wire type and it made quite a difference doing that every 6 months of so, but am not too sure what type of maf the xantia uses?
Any suggestions?,
My fuel economy is still hovering around the 40/41mpg mark so that hasnt gone up or down
Mosser
My Cars:

Post by Mosser »

After a bit of research, i think my car might be using a manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor, rather than the mass air flow( MAF) sensor that i am used to, seems a strange way of metering to me, but i suppose its cheaper than a maf sensor,
I might just get one and see if it fixes it, they cant be too expensive
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Mosser do a site search for MAP sensor. There's loads of stuff on here about the little devils. As for price any where from £60 upwards. If you get the parrt number you generaly get them cheaper off main Bocsh or Magnet Marelli agents. Checks site again for links.
Mosser
My Cars:

Post by Mosser »

Thanks Stuart, thats where i was going wrong then, i was searching for maf and it was returning very few results, i didnt think to search on map as well,
They look a bit on the pricey side, i might try to drain the oil out first, i was thinking they would be about £20 !