306 XSI Aircon Woes..

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Linchpin

306 XSI Aircon Woes..

Post by Linchpin »

Hey there! I have a 306 with Aircon and its never worked. I wonder if someone can point me in the right direction.
When i press the Aircon light, it comes on. Also when i move the heater control to window demist, it comes on (I understand that bit)!
Nothing happens tho. The cooling fans on the engine do nothing, the air gets no colder and i dont see any dip in the rev's on the engine. Any idea where to start?
Cheers in advance from a not very clued up individual.
Kev
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Hi
Behind the passenger side headlamp is the aircon dryer bottle, Its a big black cylinder with a sight glass on the top.
On top of this is the pressure safety switch, A brown connector plug with 4 wires.
Unplug this brown connector plug & using a paperclip or similar you short pins 1 & 2 together.
Turn the ignition on only, DONT START THE ENGINE, Set the heater to the coldest setting & now switch the A/C button on.
The pressure safety switch is there for a reason, RUNNING the engine with the safety switch bypassed & the A/C on WILL ruin the A/C compressor, Major EXPENSE!
Do the cooling fans now roar into life? If yes take it to an aircon place for a regas.