Xantia Suspension (again.. yawn...sorry regulars)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

russellfowden
My Cars:

Xantia Suspension (again.. yawn...sorry regulars)

Post by russellfowden »

Hi guys,
First off thanks for your help with my ZX niggle. I realise I need to make constructive contributions back on this to return the favour but right now I'm rather worried about my mothers car and would really appreciate some answers, although as it's not my vehicle and I live elsewhere I'm not 100% on the history of it all. It's a tired L reg Xantia LX 1.9 TD (170k odd on the clock) not fitted with the fancy suspension, Aptiva or whatever it was called. It was recently re-engined (not sure if that is relevant) and has since (but not obviously as a direct result) developed shocking suspension. I used to drive this car when I (and it) were younger and it always struck me as being rather like driving a big waterbed (albeit one that inexplicably went round corners quite well.) Now something is really wrong, it bounces everywhere and having started it and wandered round it seems that the back end is rising but the front end isn't, if you push down on the front of the car it seems to be on the bump stops. My Mum, characteristically technologically unaware, denies any problem and rather scarily it passed an MOT the other week. It's being driven several hundred miles a week and I'm concerned that as it stands it can't be safe. Does anyone know what the problem is likely to be and we'll take a look at this currently rather worrying chariot?
Thanks a heap,
Russ
shaunthesheep
My Cars:

Post by shaunthesheep »

russ,
it sounds like your front spheares are knacked.
dom
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

If its not rising at the front it could well be on the stops, have you tried raising it to the top with the height lever inside the car.
Even if the sphere's are shagged they wont prevent the car rising to its normal height.
Frozen (rusted) pivot's on the height corrector linkage is likely or the plastic ball link may have come off.
Dave
russellfowden
My Cars:

Post by russellfowden »

If i push the height lever to it's top or second from top clearance setting the front of the car rises OK but there is still no travel in the suspension - front solid as a rock and refuses to be pushed down. Back end seems fine.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Get some sphere's on it quick and take it from there, if your mother goes over a good enough pothole with it, the strut could be shoved up through the bonet if they are anything like the XM's, very nasty very dangerous.
Dave