Removing turbo / plumbing on Xantia 1.9 TD

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

javadude

Removing turbo / plumbing on Xantia 1.9 TD

Post by javadude »

Thanks to everyone who replied to my previous topic on this subject (http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... C_ID=11777).
I have found the leak and it’s rapidly getting worse. The outlet pipe from the turbo looks like it is cracked but repaired plus the flange is bolted onto the turbo with only one bolt. I can only see what’s what down there using a mirror against the bulkhead. I have done up the single bolt using a socket on a universal joint – it is the one nearest the bulkhead – but I can’t even reach the location of the other one nearest the engine to put a new bolt in let alone get a tool down there to tighten it!
Given that there is a bolt missing I suspect that it may have been threaded so I may have to remove the turbo to get it helicoiled. I have read the Haynes manual on how to this - the theory is ok but the access is very, very limited. Does anyone have any tips to pass on regarding turbo / plumbing removal with respect to increasing access – e.g. can the engine be moved to improve access – or are there any special tools that would be useful to have before starting the job?
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Javadude, you have found possibly the nastiest job yet, the best way of improving access down there is to support the sump on a trolley jack (put a wooden pad the on top of the jack) then remove the top engine mounting, the one that straddles the belt, next remove the lower engine mounting bolt, the horizontal one that runs through the big rubber bush, jack up the engine and pull it forward as far as you can WATCH OUT FOR ALTERNATOR/STUFF HITTING THE RADIATOR. now have a look and see how access is, if you still dont have enough room then it looks like the radiator may need to come out to allow the engine to come further forward , then remove the long driveshaft and its bearing carrier, thats about as good as access can get with the engine in situ, the turbo/manifold fastenings will no doubt be rusted solid but you will get at the rest of it, good luck
Stewart
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

You can also get good access from the side, taking the wheel out, and the arch liner.
Have an assistant point you in the right direction from above.