Xantia TD throttle cable

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

paranoid
My Cars:

Xantia TD throttle cable

Post by paranoid »

Can some tell me how the throttle cable connects to the pedal on a 97 1.9 td Xantia, Just checking the oil and noticed theres only about 3 strands holding the nipple on!!!
GSF list a kit, whats in it[:D]
Jon

Post by Jon »

Carl
Was that post supposed to have an image in it? Or did you just do that to confuse me?
In the kit you get cable inner and outer ( you have to cut to length of old cable) the clip and black plastic tube, and also I believe an assortment of ends. This will enable you to make up a new cable for basically any Citroen/Peugeot.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Have used GSF kit on our ZX 1.9D - great fun as you literally build your own cable from its components! If you do use it be careful of the rubber piece next to the pedal as I had to take it out again to cut it to size to get the throttle to open! Those butterfly fittings on the pedal are real fun to get out in one piece!
Can't see your pic but the pedal connection on BX and ZX is simply a hole in the pedal and the nylon end simply pushes through and the butterfly wings open and so it never comes out again in one piece. important to adjust it so throttle opens fully but this fitting is not strained - otherwise the wings will snap and fall off. (you can probably screw a suitable sized nut on to hold it in place.)
You may have enough slack in the cable to cut the outer cover back and expose more of the centre cable and fix the nipple a bit further back.
jeremy
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Thanks guys, no pic don't know what happened, That sounds a usefull kit
The cable is very close to breaking about an inch and a half from the pump end nipple.
SO..... If I push new cable through old tube from the pump end, when it comes through bulkhead I pull it through clip on pedal, Just going through it in my head!!!,So the cable can only go one way through the clip.
Sorry to sound dim but I can't find my haynes manual anywhere!!!!
den
My Cars:

Post by den »

The throttle cable snapped on my SX TD a while back. It had frayed and snapped at the pedal end. I went to my local cycle shop and got a cycle gearchange cable for £1.99 (so i bought two !) I took the pedal out fitted the cable to the pedal end and fed it through the outer cable and reconnected it at the pump end. A cheap and easy job, and I now carry a spare one just in case [:D]
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Thanks people....... Had to get kit from E$$ocarparts, didn't fancy trying to make it to GSF as it was now down to 2 strands.
Very usefull kit took about 10 minutes to fit, took longer to get strands out of fingers......OUCH