Xantia radio problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Peyote

Xantia radio problems

Post by Peyote »

Hi,
thought I might as well post this question seeing as im on.
I fitted a Sony CDX-MP40 radio a while ago (and in fact posted this same question some time ago with no joy).
Occasionally when I get in the car the radio tuner wont work. The only way I can get it to work is to unplug the unit entirely for a minuit or so, plug it all back in and hey presto, it works (although I then have to retune the stations). My Xantia has that (annoying) Traffic Master system fitted, I was wondering if it had something to do with that?
I am not sure if its the radio unit or the cars electronics, but the radio will never stop working while its switched on.
cheers
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

When you say 'wont work', do you mean its completley dead or does it need a code inputting?.
Peyote

Post by Peyote »

ok, yes to clarify.
The radio has 2 modes, radio and CD player. When it stops working the "tuner" (ie radio) displays "TUNER" on the display, as normal, except that normaly "TUNER" switches to whatever radio station is currently tuned after a second or two, "RADIO 1" for example. When it stops working it simply displays "TUNER" and never goes to any stations. If you change the source to CD/MP3/Mini Disc they work fine.
There is no code to be entered.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

I know the mode you mean, had a Sony head unit in my first Xsara. Are you using the steering wheel controls?. It sounds as thought the unit is being switched over from CD to tuner but all the way.
Peyote

Post by Peyote »

No, not using the steering wheel controls. Went to get one of those plastic facia items (as the radio is much smaller than the standard one,) 20 quid!. Didnt take enough to get the £30 wheel control interface and have not bothered since...