Is the Honest John Verdict on Xantia fair?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mattpc

Is the Honest John Verdict on Xantia fair?

Post by mattpc »

What's Good
Good looking, 'different' hatchbacks and estates with excellent front-end grip, safe handling, fine ride quality out of town plus the ability to raise themselves on their suspension to clear obstacles and to sink down to the ground if required. Good rear legroom. Length 14' 7", width 5' 9", weight from 1,170kg. Estates have three lap/diagonal rear belts. Suspension never goes baggy. Suspension spheres quick, easy and cheap to replace. 112bhp 16 valve 1.8 and 135bhp 2.0 litre engines from N reg on quite sporty but can use a bit of oil in valve stem lubrication. 150bhp turbocharged 8v Activa had fantastic handling and roadholding. 194bhp 3.0 V6 was a bit overkill for this market. Facelift Feb '98 with 3-piece bumpers. Turbo-diesel automatic from Spring '98 a good cruiser. New HDI diesel engine from October 1998 best fuel miser in-CLASS. 12-year body warranty from September 1999. Cheap cars now.

What's Bad
Hydraulic pumps can still go. ABS computers fail. Parts of more complex VSX and Activa suspension can stick. Average performance in NCAP crash tests. TD auto a bit high geared for town work (lingers in 2nd or 3rd). Clutch cable connector prone to breaking at the pedal end and, it's a long, tedious and expensive job to put right. Hatchbacks of Xantia estates can leak through wiper spindle seal. Very heavy depreciation and difficult to sell. Flood water ingress to the gearbox is a problem, causing the box to seize. Faulty ABS sensors can lead to short front brake disc life. Cat heat shield can trap moisture which can lead to rust on a car driven short distances from cold. Spate of conrod failures on 1997 -1998 R and S reg 1.9 XUTD diesels: too many to attribute merely to running with low oil levels. Seems only to affect cars built from April 1997 with DHY (not DHX) serial number engines. Non availability of some obscure parts, such as bottom radiator hoses for 2.1TD. On HDIs, rubber cushioned timing belt pulley needs replacing at same time as timing belt (60k - 70k miles) otherwise can separate. 17th from bottom for reliabilty in Auto Express 2002 reader survey of 100 models. On very early Xantias, front suspension strut tops can pop through the top mountings. Citroens generally had average warranty repair costs in 2003 Warranty Direct Reliability index (index 99.84 v/s lowest 31.93). Link:- www.reliabilityindex.co.uk 1995-1997 petrols rated average for breakdownd and faults, poor for problems; 1995-1997 diesels rated average for breakdowns, poor for problems and faults; 1998-2000 diesels rated average for breakdowns and problems, poor for faults in 2003 Which survey.
What to Watch Out For
LX non-ABS models are the best used buy because there's less to go wrong. ABS computers are a common problem. Check spare wheel is in its underboot cradle and not nicked. Look for smoke from diesels - may be curable with a dose of injector cleaner and a new air filter. 1.6s likely to wear out first. If fitted with aircon, make sure it blows cold. If 2.0 litre petrol engine knocks, don't buy the car (see XM for reason). EU wide problem with clutch of HDIs: release bearings are failing on average at 30K miles and the hydraulic actuators at approx 70K miles. Both cause significant damage (£700 - £1000) to repair. Basically, the clutch assembly "blows-up", though not the actual clutch disc, which can have as little as 20% wear. Strut top bearings can fail and break free. Check by jacking the car up and pulling. Recall in New Zealand for this reason. Jump starting diesels incorrectly can knock out the rev counter. Cure is to remove dash and tip upside down to relocate rev counter needle.
Recalls
1994 (May 1993-Oct 1994): Recall for parking brake modification to force drivers to apply it properly. 2001 (May 1993 - August 1994): Recall od Xantias with electric sunroofs because electrics can short out leading to total failure of all electrics, stopping the car. Late 2001: PSA TSB issued to check all common-rail to injector unions on HDIs for leaks. 5/11/2001: 4134 Xantia 1.8i 16vs built 1/1/1995 to 31/12/96 recalled because timing belt may fail before 72,000 miles. Belt to be replaced.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Probably fair.
the ABS is rarely a computer problem and the central locking has not been mentioned (although it is very occasionally touched on in this forum, seemingly about twice a week.) The fans and aircon problems are well known to us all but there is no free cure
and nobody who has ever changed a Xantia clutch cable has ever expressed the desire to do one again without a visit from Marty's mates to take them to the Hydropneumatic hotel.
Be prepared for those gremlins though and a Xantia provides cheap motoring in a solid car. (Naturally, a BX is faster, lighter and rather meaner on fuel but they're so damn' cool that you may not find a good 'un for the price of a Xantia any more!)
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

Honest John is pretty unusual: his reviews are normally scrupulously fair to Citroens, rather than dismissing them on the basis of various mechanical old-wives-tales or the current muttering rotter concensus.
kid
My Cars:

Post by kid »

considering the xantia been around for some time all problems will be known more than say for eg the new 407.
if you think this list is long have a look at others including the laguana one and two, and the 406, both will make the xantia look like japanese reliability!
mattpc

Post by mattpc »

i can see that kid, I was just shocked when I compared the Xantia with the Honda Accord but then I guess I should have expected it really.
kid
My Cars:

Post by kid »

As an owner of a 98 civic i can certainly concur with the reliability of Honda, although it does seem to have more squeaks than my xantia (controversial!), even though the civic has only done 60k.
The accord is (i think) built in Japan whereas the civic in Swindon. The accords resale values are incredible, i was going to but one, until I saw the prices. May well still go for one in the future when they are cheaper. It has apparently one of the best reliability records of any car ever made, so comparing this to the xantia is unfair considering the difference in price for similar specd models.
this was why i compared HJ's report to its direct competitiors.
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mattpc</i>

Clutch cable connector prone to breaking at the pedal end and, it's a long, tedious and expensive job to put right. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Not on my HDi, hydraulic you see[:D][:D]
mattpc

Post by mattpc »

yep I also compared the Xant with the Mondeo although HJ seemed to favour the Mondeo, there seemed to be just as many faults with the mondy.
ninebob

Post by ninebob »

My 1.6LX develoved no problems other than those I knew it had when I bought it. Overall the most reliable car I've ever owned. Sadly it doesn't look like the picture below any more, I wrote it off last week [}:)][:I][B)]
On that note, please see also here: http://diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20692 ... I haven't been here as long as the other forum but everyone can learn...
petefa
My Cars:

Post by petefa »

You Forgot the heater matrix being naff and the double pipe that connects the heater matrix to the engine being rather expensive and a *%$" to remove and fit on TDI's. Rear speres go rock hard and gives you a noddy ride when driving over sand granules! Alarm is pants and goes off in the middle of the night, Grrrr. Gear box notchy, even with new cluch. rear wiper arm always blocks up. Headlamps are rather dim.
Seats are really comfy though! :-)
kafkaian

Post by kafkaian »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ninebob</i>

My 1.6LX develoved no problems other than those I knew it had when I bought it. Overall the most reliable car I've ever owned. Sadly it doesn't look like the picture below any more, I wrote it off last week [}:)][:I][B)]
On that note, please see also here: http://diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20692 ... I haven't been here as long as the other forum but everyone can learn...
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Same car as mine ninebob. Do you want mine for next to nothing?
pwatson
My Cars:

Post by pwatson »

"Same car as mine ninebob. Do you want mine for next to nothing?"
I suggest you read ninebobs link - not sure he will need another car.
Ninebob - we all do stupid things occasionally but yours is a hard lesson. Hope you don't get put away - I think you may have learnt from your experience. Not much else one can say. Good luck.