C5 brake pedal (existencial)question

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

406 V6
My Cars:

C5 brake pedal (existencial)question

Post by 406 V6 »

Hi folks!
Hope everyone is alright[:)]
I got this thing running inside my head:
When i press the brakes they seems like a real high-pressure citroën braking system, but pushing it further down, it compresses till it hits the stop. Needless to say that the handbrake operates extremely well.
Is it possible for this pedal to have the same system found in older (and real) Citroëns, like the Xantia and BX with the famous spring between the pedal and brake valve?
Thanks[:D]!
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

I think you have the same as I feel.
If you pump the brake pedal a few times it goes hard, if you keep your foot hard on the pedal, it sinks towards the carpet.
Dealer says it is normal for any car, but the Picasso doesn't do it!
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

C5 has a conventional non pumped braking system doesn't it? - In which case the pedal shouldn't sink under repeated pressure.
past experience suggests that on dismantling I would find the master cylinder seals resembled wine gums or there was a leaky slave cylinder. Discs don't give that much trouble - especially at C5 age.
Jeremy
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

I haven't tryed it with the engine off...hmmmm
I must say that my front discs were changed around 3000kms ago. They were warped and the importer, reluctantly, changed them on warranty[:D]
I don't know of any car that does this(with regular brakes like the C5, that its).
I'll mess around the brake pedal to see if i can find something[:P]
alexx
My Cars:

Post by alexx »

On diesel vehicles with conventional brakes, when your hit the brake pedal rapidly several times, it gets harder and harder every time. On Megane II 1.5 dCi, for example, on 5th hit on the pedal you are almost without brakes (in fact - without servo assistance). Brakes are back after about a second.
It's because of limited capacity of the vacuum pump, so BAS system exhausts vacuum quickly. Petrol engines don't suffer from this problem, because engine itself is a big vacuum pump.
Needless to say, older citroen greenblooded diesel vehicles didn't suffer from this either
Sorry, guys ...