XM V6 Heating Stays on HOT

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

XM V6 Heating Stays on HOT

Post by citroenxm »

I'm have a slight problem.
The heating on my V6 is now staying HOT all the time, and its too HOT to cope with..
Its an Air conditiond car, but that doesn't work. Is this problem related to the sensor in thr roof for the heating??
Thanks for the moment
Mosser
My Cars:

Post by Mosser »

Does it have the digital climate control ?, if so, it is likely the sensor has failed, it appeared to be just a standard bead type thermistor to me when i took my one apart, it sits right on top of a tiny fan in the roof console,
Temporarily, the only thing you could do is to regulate the temperature by the fan speed control, if you get too much ram air effect when moving then you will need to switch to about 90% recirculate ( i know this because i had a car with the heating stuck on full once and this is what i did!)
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

Hi, it is just possible that the roof thermo fan is at fault. It just clips into the back of the light housing and can come away and fall over. It will then, as I know from my own experience, draw air from above the headlining which is always cool of course making it try to warm the car interior.
My own was very dirty and needed some attention from the WD40 can and an air line, used very, very carefully.
Reassembled and all is working as it should.
Fingers crossed yours is a simple, Robin.
JohnM52

Post by JohnM52 »

Hi, what year of V6?
I'll presume a Series I.
If the temp is really hot, and doesn't vary wth the setting on the dash, it is likely to be the motor which drives the air temp mixer flap. These do fail and tend to go to one end of the range or the other.
If this is the case, come back and I'll givve you some additional information on how best to proceed.
The first useful tip is - remove the glovebox. You are then ready to make progress.
Hear from you soon
JohnM52

Post by JohnM52 »

OK its a Series I
I am writing this from memory so inaccuracies may creep in - all feel free to correct as required.
Having removed the glove box ( pop out the lamp unit then 4 screws but remember to disconnect the power lead fixed to the base, glovebox then pops out) you need a short stubby Phillips screwdriver.
If you look down to the left of the hater unit visible through the glovebox you will see black control box fixed to the left side ( all references are from the passenger seat facing forward). If in any doubt, look for a black cable which terminates in a white connector.
This is the motor whcih adjusts the air flap position according to the demands of the temperature controls. It is said that attempts to repair this are successful - I have not been successful and have just, as a first check, removed the same motor which is fixed to the fresh air/recycle flap and try that plugged into the circuit to replace the original air flap. the motor is held in by two screws and access is quite tight - it may be that I finally used a cranked screwdriver to remove the screws.
Operating the temp controls from cold to hot should see the shaft of the motor rotate. If this is successful, just replace the air flap motor with the one you have working. I then replaced the recycle one with a good secondhand one (they are 80+GPB from Cit).
If you cannot trace one, I have one used motor sitting on my desk here, let me know if that is what you need.
Please check using the above to confirm that the motor is faulty first, I ran for a couple of weeks with the glovebox out until i got the replacement motor. THe recycle motor does have a much easier life and doen't fail so often
Good luck