Plastic trim

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dillosk8ter
My Cars:

Plastic trim

Post by dillosk8ter »

Being someone who washes and polishes on a regular basis {weekly,if poss} does irritate me that however much I 'Back to Black' the plastic trim on my Citroens some parts fade back to grey within minutes......is there anything that has a long lasting effect? Also streaks left after heavy rain annoying but prob unavoidable.
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

Do you mean the black on the bumpers etc?
Valeting products bring it up nice, WD40 lasts a bit longer, but several coats of wax works a treat, at least it did on my old rover [:D]
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

I found some stuff that works, I think its made by car plan, and is in the same shape bottle as T-Cut. Not sure what its called though (sorry if thats really un-helpful). Its like black boot polish, and it works really well (or did on a pug 205 grey bumper, made that back!). After using it, you could spray some of the cheap silicone stuff on, might have a "double" effect. I have also found with experience, the cheaper the stuff you use, the crapper it is, so buy the more expensive stuff.
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

If it's bumper black it rings a bell, very good stuff
dan.2cv
My Cars:

Post by dan.2cv »

Auto Glym 'bumper care' A gel which lasts ages and is also good at removing dried on wax. Using it over a period of time enhances it's effect.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Usually the reason this <b>Back to Back</b> goes <i>Back to Grey</i> is due to it being applied straight over the old polish or oxidisation.
To work effectively you need to prepare the surface and use a silicone and wax remover as used by automotive spray painters prior to painting. This will rid the surface of all contaminenets and gives it a chance to work. Sometimes, two or three coats are needed for a long lasting shine, but we recently had a guy over here who reckoned it just didn't work which amazed me because I have an old CX with a black vinyl top that I treated as above and which was subsequently written off in a prang. 3 years on, out in the tropical weather and it was still shining, so prepared correctly they will work. There's no way to shortcut though if you want a good job done on it.
Alan S
john alexander
My Cars:

Post by john alexander »

Cherry Blossom ready wax instant shoe shine , think it was less than a £ in ALDI.works well and takes ages to fade. Regards John
dillosk8ter
My Cars:

Post by dillosk8ter »

Cheers, will take all that on board.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dan.2cv</i>

Auto Glym 'bumper care' A gel which lasts ages and is also good at removing dried on wax. Using it over a period of time enhances it's effect.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Similar stuff from Mer available - got a bottle once with some Mer polish - marvelous (if expensive) stuff.