TD intercooler

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

Crikey! Thats one big intercooler on that there 306! Fans have been moved and the bumber has been cut on that one, something I'm trying to avoid, but 150Bhp looks tempting!
Edit: Must stay economy minded [;)]
mrbump
My Cars:

Post by mrbump »

well, just have to do it properly then!! [;)]
the intercooler mist thing really does work, but when i built and tested my system ,it only really has an effect when you are completely thrashing the car. If i remember correctly, it had an average 12% drop in temps around our local sprint track over 20 laps.
Will you take some intake temp readings before you fit the intercooler? Just get a cheap multimeter from maplin that has a thermocouple, mine was about £8 i think. Make sure the sample rate is something like every 1 or 2 seconds at max. Then bung the thermocouple in an intake pipe, close jubilee and tape multimeter to windscreen - easy !!![:D] Then you know how well the cooler is working, and you can test any other systems like spray against that data.
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

I've got quite an expensive multimeter with a thermocouple function on, so I'll have a play about sometime. Doing the maths though, I have calculated the air temp to be 97 deg C at 4000rpm and full boost, so we'll have to see if I'm proved correct! In my old 306 Dt, I had increased the boost to 1.2 bar, and the air temp pre intercooler maxed at 115 deg C (measured with thermocouple) so 97 doesnt sound unreasonable.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Paul - yes i speak Swedish - but the homepage is in Danish! (ANDERS!)
Could cobble it if you are really interested.
//NiSk
boneyboy
My Cars:

Post by boneyboy »

in answer to your early question allards removed the original fans mounted the cooler infront of the rad and alimline fans behind the rad but on the 306 td there is loads of room at the front got a pic somewhere il dig it out was expensive but worth it
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

Yep, there would be plenty of room in front of the rad on my 306... If you remove the fans!!
boneyboy
My Cars:

Post by boneyboy »

lol yeah they are a waste of space
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by NiSk</i>

Paul - yes i speak Swedish - but the homepage is in Danish! (ANDERS!)
Could cobble it if you are really interested.
//NiSk
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
LOL I knew someone would end up pulling me up over that ( not that I knew it was Danish, I just assumed I would be wrong anyway!) .
www.hi-speed.dk/Intercooler_307/Intercooler_307.html
The guy from the above link doesnt seem to have improved power much - from 93bhp to 94bhp by adding an intercooler! Am I looking at it right?[:o)]
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

No power wont increase just by adding an intercooler unless you increase the fuelling to go with it. Efficiency should increase though, hence probably better economy!
boneyboy
My Cars:

Post by boneyboy »

on the above link hes got a crappy little cooler usefull on a standard car but useless if you want to up the power at all depends what you are looking for really have you looked for a standard 306td intercooler they are fairly big must loads around ?
Wookey
(Donor 2019)
My Cars: Peugeot Expert 1.9D (Camper conversion) (2003-now)

Post by Wookey »

I'm getting a bit of a colection of intercoolers here. I'll have a couple I want to get rid of soon. I've got a 306-type top-mount, a xantia(?) huge front-mount one and I'm getting an expert/806 one soon (as the xantia one is about 5cm too short to fit in front of my rad, and the pipes are the wrong sizes, so I decided it was easier just to put the normal part in (at great expense)).
I'm interested in efficiency more than performance. If anyone wants the xantia one measuring, I can do that.
ItDontGo
My Cars:

Post by ItDontGo »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mrbump</i>

I think what youre saying itdontgo is two things?;
1. It takes a little time for air to absorb the heat from the fins;
2. The turbulent air makes more air particles swirl and contact the surface of the cooler offering greater dissapation.
ish?
Of course if the air went rushing by the cooler at a horrendous speed then very little contact would be made.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
It is to do with what happens at the surface.
If the flow is nice and laminar (unturbulent) moving fluid will stick to a surface. Than a few molecules higher than the surface it will move slowly and a little further away it wil move even quicker until you get to the point where it is moving at the same speed as the flow. The region where it is moving slowly is called the boundary layer and this is quite thin - usually milimeters.
In a laminar boundary layer there is very little flow outward from the surface. Where there is a turbulent boundary layer the fluid is more chaotic and there is a lot more flow away from the surface. Hence more heat is removed from the surface and deposited into the free stream (main flow outside of the boundary layer).
So you're right in many ways. It is the fact that in a turbulent flow hot fluid will flow away from the surface but the important aspect is that it is in this small region touching the surface which is critical to the effectiveness of the heat transfer.
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">on the above link hes got a crappy little cooler usefull on a standard car but useless if you want to up the power at all depends what you are looking for really have you looked for a standard 306td intercooler they are fairly big must loads around ?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
The XUD intercooler wouldnt fit; It has a funny oval type connection where it joins the manifold whereas this one hasn't. There is also nowhere to fit that particular one under the bonnet of an HDi.
(I'm sure it could be made to fit somewhere, but the cheapo one I have would be easier)
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Paul - from that last article it appears that he has lost power after adding the intercooler! 94.2hp without I/C and 93.5hp with. However, he's definitly not taking advantage of it since he's measuring a temperature drop across the I/C of 57 deg C at 160 km/h! He needs to up the boost and increase the fuelling.
//NiSk