TD intercooler

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Hmm! must get hold of one and offer it up , theres a lot of space in front of the rad, trim the bumper a bit, fans relocated in front of intercoolers, pipework under the bonnet looking like a darth vader octopus, i cant wait...
Stewart
ItDontGo
My Cars:

Post by ItDontGo »

What isn't good for drag is great for heat transfer.
If you put the intercooler in a flow and if you destabilise that flow with the intention of generatign turbulence, the heat transfer will be dramatically increased. In which case its actually best to mount a heat exchanger behind some unaerodynamic body such as a grill. However the flow into the engine bay will be slow and viscous, hence stable and laminar, as there is a relatively large pressure within it. In which case you may find its best to stick an intercooler directly into the external flow.
The flow velocity in a Formula 1 car radiator duct is around 30mph even when the car is doing about 200mph. That is due to the large internal pressure within the duct due to the flow restriction at the exit. Similarly, even though exposed to the flow, the speed at which the air flows into the engine bay of a car is quite slow too.
mrbump
My Cars:

Post by mrbump »

I would have to say that the intercooler you have would be superb sitting in front of the gearbox, with a duct from the front airdam. Remember what you want is a pressure differential accross the intercooler, not just flow onto it. Of course it is also cooler down at the gearbox than in front of the hot rad as well in traffic. My Charade has the i/c in exactly that position as standard. I have moved it to the front previously and found no benefit. You could benefit on your small cooler in that position by running some tumbledryer ducting from the back of the cooler to the wheelarch as well to get an even better flow.
I never liked the design of the xantia ic. It seems that all the flow at lower boost will just go through the top 10% of the cooler. Plus it is a funny design, and I think the cooling fins might even protrude into the airflow inside the bars. It cant be that bloody big for no reason (apart from width restriction reasons).
I would stick with a single pass (i.e. no u-turn at end tank, pipes on either end), compact cooler. Best thing is to bodge the ic you have in and measure temps, move it and try again. What size are the inlet/outlet pipes on the blandeo ic?
Cheers
mrbump
My Cars:

Post by mrbump »

I think what youre saying itdontgo is two things?;
1. It takes a little time for air to absorb the heat from the fins;
2. The turbulent air makes more air particles swirl and contact the surface of the cooler offering greater dissapation.
ish?
Of course if the air went rushing by the cooler at a horrendous speed then very little contact would be made.
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

The in/out pipes on the mondy 'cooler seem to be about 2 inches, which I thought was a bit small, but looking at Allards website all of their performance coolers have this size pipes. I tried a rough placement for the cooler yesterday, I can just get it to fit, the only pipe that gets in the way is the inlet for the air filter, this would be easy to move though. The advantages with it being down by the gearbox are a) easy to place without major mods b) plenty of airflow and easy to duct air towards it c) no need for lots of expensive stainless steel piping to be made up
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

I've taken some pics of the intercooler...
Its not big by any accounts!
PS Boneyboy, how did Allard do your front mount, did they scrap the standard fans? Have you got any pictures?!
boneyboy
My Cars:

Post by boneyboy »

not going to be a great deal of benifit with this cooler has it has plastic end caps and as soon as everything heats up its not very effective so the benifits of having it soon deminish when summer arrives
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

The end caps provide relatively little cooling, they have a small surface area. The finned part is what matters since its the largest area.
Intercoolers work best when they're not full of leaves and dead flies. [;)]
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

Every OEM intercooler (apart from a Rover 218td!) I have ever seen has plastic endcaps. Most of the tubing from the turbo is plastic anyway, so some plastic endcaps aren't going to be the end of the world.
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by rossd</i>

Every OEM intercooler (apart from a Rover 218td!) I have ever seen has plastic endcaps. Most of the tubing from the turbo is plastic anyway, so some plastic endcaps aren't going to be the end of the world.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Intercooler on my 220sdi had end caps made from metal (alu?), shame its been scrapped now - I think in terms of size it was quite a bit thinner than the mondeo one you have, would have fitted no worries- try looking for 420sdi and 620sdi's in the scrappers- all have same i/c) Id be interested to see any pics once you have finished your project. Quite tempted to do something like this myself- bet the insurnace co' would try and have my pants down tho [:I]
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

Yes I did see a 220SDi, but already had the mondy cooler in my hand when I saw it! I would need to find a 110HDi in the scrappers tho, for the manifold adaptor and the pipe that runs from the turbo, under the engine to the intercooler. I dread to think how much that will all cost from a dealer! Trouble is, as soon as the breaker my way gets them in, he removes the engine and sells it!
mrbump
My Cars:

Post by mrbump »

out of interest, how much did you pay for the cooler? the end tank sizes at least <u>suggest</u> it will flow enough air. If youre going to all this bother, why not just lift all the intercooler gubbins from a hdi that had it originally? You will still end up making alot of pipework for your conversion to the balndeo ic surely?.
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

Well I'm not definatly going to fit it, it was just an idea and I got the intercooler to see if it could be implemented. I paid a fiver for the cooler, so even if I don't fit it, its not as if I have lost hundreds.
It would be nigh on impossible to fit an intercooler from a 406 110 or a Xsara, as the radiator is the full width of the front of the 306, whereas on the Xsara and 406 etc the intercooler is fitted beside the rad, as it doent cover the full width on these versions. I would use some parts from the 110 versions like the high pressure piping from turbo too intercooler and from intercooler to manifold, so its not really much of a job to do, I would just make up some pipework to join intercooler into the system.
mrbump
My Cars:

Post by mrbump »

Sounds good. Where is the intercooler on the hdi's again? If it is next to the rad, is it on the passenger side near the gearbox?
Why not try this water injection lark? I'm gonna give it a bash after reading alot of good stuff about it. You can get a kit on ebay for less than the cost of the component parts (new). It seems like it will bring down your temps by alot more than a small intercooler. The fastest diesel in the world doesnt even have an intercooler!
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

Yep, its on the gearbox side. The trouble with water injection is that it can cause premature engine wear if not done properly. If I get round to installing this intercooler, I might also try some sort of intercooler water mist. Thats should help to keep the temperatures down!