speedo stays on 50

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

druist

speedo stays on 50

Post by druist »

ever since i have had my xantia 1.9 diesel the speedo hasnt worked. It starts on zero then when i start it up it stays on 50mph. also the rev counter acts in a similar way.
Any ideas as to why this is happening to both?
sbraud
My Cars:

Post by sbraud »

Hi Druist,
Is yours cable or electric speedo set-up?
Did both tacho and speedo go at same time?
I had this problem for some time and it seems to be a common one. If it’s electric, it’s usually (not exclusively) one of two things - speedo unit itself, as was mine, or gearbox sender unit.
my post:
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... C_ID=10007
Sender units available for hosts GSF and speedo/tacho unit from someone braking (for sale section)

Hope this helps!
Cheers
Steve
druist

Post by druist »

not sure what it is Steve, its a 1995 xantia 1.9TD it seems that lots of ppl have had the same problem when i did a search lots of the same questions came up, still no answers though
weety
My Cars:

Post by weety »

i had the problem with my 94 xantia with just the speedo...it turned out to be the speedo drive, rev counter didnt go wrong though
sbraud
My Cars:

Post by sbraud »

Find out which type you have.

To be sure, get underneath and see if you have an electric speed sensor pickup in the gearbox or cable. This sits above the RH driveshaft on the g/box where the speedo cable drive traditionally lives. If you find a cable drive from g\box then it's none electric and do a search on forum for cable speedo
If electric…
Does you mileage clock/trip clock keep accurate mileage? Cover a known distance and see if it’s correct. If speedo knows how far you’ve gone, then chances are sender is OK and speedo drive is malfunctioning. If mileage is wrong it may be sender and is easy/cheap to do.
If drive it might be worth picking up a working pair from scrappy or someone breaking on here.
My speedo did the same as yours. Starts of at zero and pull away and off it goes straight up to fifty. I was about to change sender when it dawned on me trip clock was correct so I changed speedo for known working one (thanks Adzbaby) and its been behaving for some months now. Tacho probably has the same problem too, but worth treating as a separate problem, but same principles.
Cheers
Steve
druist

Post by druist »

sbraud thanks for the reply. the clock keeps track of the mileage i have done accurately. The rev counter seems to act the same. it seems odd that its at 50mph like yours and others i have seen. Would this seem to mean getting another speedo from a scrapyard?
sbraud
My Cars:

Post by sbraud »

Hi druist,
It’s looking like the speedo/tacho units are faulty. There must be a whole batch of these `50mph’ clocks out there!! [:(!][xx(]
It might be worth trying to get whole instrument panel for your model year/range with working speedo/tacho and fix both at the same time. Tacho could be sender too, but at least you’ll know when you have working clocks
There are plenty of posts on forum for getting instrument panel out. If you’ve got steering wheel airbag, take care to read procedure for it’s removal, as it can go off !!
I can post instructions if you're having trouble find them.
Cheers
Steve
druist

Post by druist »

instructions would be great if you dont mind. i am rather a newbie at car repairs.
sbraud
My Cars:

Post by sbraud »

OK
try this link for starters
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... ove,speedo
steve
druist

Post by druist »

^thanks