Girlfriend....

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Rob Marshall

Girlfriend....

Post by Rob Marshall »

My girlfriend has got a J reg 1992 Peugeot 1.1 Style. Full service History. 63K. red. Comes up like a new car with a polish. As to be expected with a girly car; mint condition on the inside.
Im shortly going to fit a new Valeo clutch, starter motor & full service. However, we have to drive along the backroads from Shrewsbury to Malvern, and the 205 does struggle to get up the hills. She is shortly to drive 200 odd miles to Plymouth (seeing her cousin's baby and doing girly things-so I've got out of that one!), and wants to drive the BX, as it is more reliable, economical, comfortable etc etc. I personally don't like her in the 205: not enough metal round it.
She has voiced the concern that although she loves "Percy the Peugeot". She really needs a bigger, more powerful car. I have suggested that polished up, the 205 would easily sell to a learner driver for £800, bearing in mind its condition - when I've sorted it out!
Whatever Percy sells for, we only have that to buy a replacement car: mid range, £800 should bag a reasonable motor:
So, what should we get: She wants a 306, but I have suggested a ZX, ideally a TD with sensible mileage. She likes the ZX thankfully.
Other ideas: Volvo 440 / 480. Fast, comfortable, safe, lots in breakers and dirt cheap.
Anyone else got any suggestions???
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

How about a Xantia? Cheap as chips, plenty about.
Rob Marshall

Post by Rob Marshall »

A bit too big for her really, a Xsara would be more suitable.
I also want a car that is reasonably simple to maintain - and not very demanding from a time perspective: as I'll be maintaining it!
CommY
My Cars:

Post by CommY »

£800 is a bit, well actually very very optomistic (I hope you get it though) £3-500 is more realistic. You may find that if you try for £800 you'll waste alot of money on advertising.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Have to admit, no mater how shiny I dont think I could be persuaded to part with £800 for an 1100 J plate Pug.
Still, even for £500 (and sod the clutch if its not toasted yet) you could pick up a ZX - Much more fun than a Xsara. Or how about another BX? Bags of ZX's in the Loot round and about.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Got to agree about the ZX idea. It's the same as a 306 but there so many good, cheap ones about you'd be silly not to consider one. Go for the TD Avantgae spec upwards. Electric windows and sunroof, ajustable steering, central locking (on the key) a half decent stereo and soooo cheap to maintain. Sticks to the road like glue, (you can tell I've had one can't you). On the other hand a Xantia is a good car and again so cheap to buy. If size is a problem (ooo er Mrs) then go for the ZX.
dillosk8ter
My Cars:

Post by dillosk8ter »

Agree that ZX is a good choice. I've had one for five years now and done nearly 60,000 miles in it. Apart from servicing I haven't had a single problem with it {Really tempting fate, I know}. V economical, quick, refined, solid feeling. Really great car to drive, nice gearbox, fab handling. Looks and drives just as well as when I bought it in 2000 with just 38,000 on the clock.
crapday
My Cars:

Post by crapday »

why don't yo sell the girlfriend and keep the car. cheaper to run and doesn't answer back.
Rob Marshall

Post by Rob Marshall »

I suspect that there is a chance a learner driver would pay £800 for a low insurance 205 in A1 condition - shortly to be a "Klassic": after all, ive just sold an old R reg Mini for £1000; and although that was good, it wasn't mint.
Most the 205s I see are knackers - this one really is nice: anyway, yeah, I agree £800 is probably top whack, but the again, much less than a Saxo!!
The idea is that small, basic cars do attract a premium amongst the learner drivers. Much "better" cars like the ZX, Xantia, Vol 440 etc are worth less due to higher insurance for younger drivers, and slightly more expensive to run.
So any more suggestions on what she should upgrade to?
R
bikeboyz
My Cars:

Post by bikeboyz »

Well assuming your not a snob, or a chav ! -
Skoda Favorit,
Fiat Brava/Bravo,
Hyundai Accent,
Alfa 145
Daewoo Lanos
Skoda/Fiat/Hyundai all on P plates, Alfa M, and Daewoo S reg. all around £800. But they are boring, keep the 205, give it a new CD player.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Rob Marshall</i>

ive just sold an old R reg Mini for £1000; and although that was good, it wasn't mint.
The idea is that small, basic cars do attract a premium amongst the learner drivers. Much "better" cars like the ZX, Xantia, Vol 440 etc are worth less due to higher insurance for younger drivers, and slightly more expensive to run.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Ahh but minis comand their own page in the maximegalon book of hypermathmatics <font color="red">(H2G2)</font id="red"> and obay none of the common laws of second hand car values. You cant polish a <font color="brown">tu*d </font id="brown">but you can always give it a blow over and get a small fortune for one!
As for them being cheaper to run - bobins![;)]
My 1.9D ZX cost less over 2 years than my last Mini ever did over 6 months - insurance - pah! about the same (mini = boy / girl racer, lumbering diesel = sensible driver in insurance mentality)
The AX has so far cost me one arm and is rapidly devouring a leg. Its only redeeming feature is the ability to fill a tank on £12 of SVO and take up very little parking space.[:)]
Might I suggest a change of girlfriend instead to one sympathetic with Citroens?[}:)][}:)][}:)]
Allow me to introduce Noreen, she loves Citroens, and small furry animals![;)]
Only joking with you! Good luck in floging the 205 - Still think a good ZX (1.4) would be a good bet for your fair lady.
ItDontGo
My Cars:

Post by ItDontGo »

A friend of my with a dealership just scraps them. He doesn't reckon you get even £200 for a J-plate.
A friend up here has had his tidy 205 on sale for ages and hasn't got anywhere; at £250.
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

Is that a typo ??? Is it really a 1.1litre 205 ?? Does it manage to move itself out of the drive ??
I'd suggest a BX, but make sure it's at least an injected 1.9litre motor, the 1600's are gutless.
I have a Xantia (here's me thinking a Xantia is a small car). I bought it for my wife, she loves it, however complains constantly about what a gutless slug it is. If you go for a Xantia, I'd make sure it's a CT turbo or V6, possibly the 16valve 5spders might be ok.
The price you guys can buy 24valve V6 XM's for over there would certainly interest me, as would a really good CX 2500 GTi Turbo.
What about Clio Sports ?? Are they really cheap over there yet ... The possibilities are endless for interesting cars in the UK ... If only we got a few of them out here.
seeya,
Shane L.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Rob Marshall</i>

My girlfriend has got a J reg 1992 Peugeot 1.1 Style. Full service History. 63K. red. Comes up like a new car with a polish. As to be expected with a girly car; mint condition on the inside.
Im shortly going to fit a new Valeo clutch, starter motor & full service. However, we have to drive along the backroads from Shrewsbury to Malvern, and the 205 does struggle to get up the hills. She is shortly to drive 200 odd miles to Plymouth (seeing her cousin's baby and doing girly things-so I've got out of that one!), and wants to drive the BX, as it is more reliable, economical, comfortable etc etc. I personally don't like her in the 205: not enough metal round it.
She has voiced the concern that although she loves "Percy the Peugeot". She really needs a bigger, more powerful car. I have suggested that polished up, the 205 would easily sell to a learner driver for £800, bearing in mind its condition - when I've sorted it out!
Whatever Percy sells for, we only have that to buy a replacement car: mid range, £800 should bag a reasonable motor:
So, what should we get: She wants a 306, but I have suggested a ZX, ideally a TD with sensible mileage. She likes the ZX thankfully.
Other ideas: Volvo 440 / 480. Fast, comfortable, safe, lots in breakers and dirt cheap.
Anyone else got any suggestions???
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
PeterMann
My Cars:

Post by PeterMann »

Try changing the airfilter. It may suddenly climb hills a whole lot better, which could change her attitude towards keeping Percy.
Rob Marshall

Post by Rob Marshall »

I think she will change her mind once the clutch stops slipping,a nd the new starter is fitted (the current one is very noisy!)
What about a 440?