Citroen AX 15D Over fueling

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

DarkendViper

Citroen AX 15D Over fueling

Post by DarkendViper »

Hi all,
I've got a 96 AX 1.5 Diesel. When you start it, there is quite a bit of black smoke that comes out the exhaust. Also if you leave it running you can smell the diesel from it. I think it's overfueling. Is there anyway to adjust/test/check whether it is?
Also I seem to be ablle to get about 300 miles from a tank of diesel, when it used to do 600-700. I sold it, bought a fiesta and then bought it back. n the time I didn't own it, it had the head gasket done because the water pump failed. They also skimmed the head. These problems have been since then.
Thanks for any help.
Ste
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Diesels run on the principal of suurplus air and therefore run as fast as the available fuel permits.
This means that at idle your car will burn all the fuel available. More fuel - runs faster . . .
If it smells or smokes its an indication that the fuel isn't atomising properly or (and unlikely unless its been tinkered with) the timing is incorrect.
So - your injectors need overhauling or replacing.
jeremy
DarkendViper

Post by DarkendViper »

Doh,
The timing was checked and it was ok. I shall have another look though. It sounds fine but when running you can smell diesel. When you've been on the motorway and come off, the smell is really strong. I'll chuck some injector cleaner in and see what it does.
Thanks
Ste
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

It can overfuel if the air filter is blocked or soaked with water - I'd check that first (whip it out and run without for a short while). However, as the head has been off I would check the timing is right, after that it's a compression test to see if there's any problems there.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Its not just leaking somewhere is it, and pumping out while the motors running???
DarkendViper

Post by DarkendViper »

The timing was checked 2/3 months ago and all was in line/timed up. I can't see anywhere that could be leaking fuel, but I don't know where to look. Any pointers?
I've had a couple of garages say that if the head was skimmed and too much was skimmed off it would increase compression and cause poor running? Is this true or false?
Thanks for the ideas. I shall have a look later and see what I can see.
te