GSA engined Acadane.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stinkwheel

GSA engined Acadane.

Post by Stinkwheel »

OK so i realise this is not the sort of thing that you guys are really familiar with but thought i would upset you all and mention it here.
I've got this Ami Super chassied Acadiane. Its been fitted up with a GS 4 speed box and a 1299 GSA 'eco' engine. Running Ani Super driveshafts right now but will be changing to 2CV shafts with adaptor rings as they are stronger.
Question is about exhausts, I plan on using the original GS front pipes which will go to a collector box affair (suspended under the rear of the box like a 2CV crossbox) which will have a pipe going out of one rear corner to an under floor mounted silencer bit like the original type but probably a more meaty silencer.
So point and question is, can anyone see why i should not mount an exhaust in that way? Im an ignoramus you see and have to check these things.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Acadianamite! sounds as though it will work as long as you have plenty of slop in the rubber mountings for the silencer to stop it being stressed as it thrashes about. I wonder if a flexible joint would be a good idea.
It will go very smartly but it won't 'arf drink. Good way of using the bits, though.
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

Why use a collector box? Can you just use a "Y" piece to join the two together? It would seem better for gas flow as the gasses would not come to a virtual dead end in the collector and then have to find a way out in one corner. I can see the way you are thinking trying to copy the 2CV system, but I think there is a better way. If I remember, the GS system front pipes join in a "y"
Edited as I think our man Jon has played with GS powered Ami's in the past, he may have a clue.
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

Thanks people,
The Y pipe is a good plan, will have to go out and offer up the pipes and see how it attatches. The problem with it being chassis based (unlike the GS) is that the pipes dont have a free run.
It seems like a good street sleeper this project, not many people expect acadianes to be relatively quick.
Jon

Post by Jon »

Theres various ways of sorting the exhaust on this job, all of which will require use of a mig welder and some various exhaust bits.
I've done it a couple of ways. Version one was to chop the flanges off a couple of 2cv heat exchangers, and seam weld them to the ends of slightly shortened GSA front pipes. Then, I sawed up a 2cv front cross box for the 2 pipes (which then clamp to your modified front pipes.) You now have the choice of 2 options
1) Weld together bits of pipe and joint to a 2cv downpipe to 2cv standard silencer on n/s. On o/s, fit further silencer and cobble bits of pipe together. (cut up 2cv downpipe to reverse it) This is acutally quite easy to do, but quite noisy.
2) Fit a single, larger silencer under one floor (last one I did I used a rear box off a Visa 1124 and make up a side exit.)To get the exhaust gasses to it I found a bit of 2 into one off an old CX or something, and joined my 2x 2cv crossbox bits together under the gearbox. I then got a BX 16/19 hockey stick pipe, and by sawing it into 3 then welding back together got the proper shape for a nice downpipe with a decent bore that didn't catch on the wheel or bodywork. A piece of straight pipe then joined this to the side mounted Visa silencer, this worked much better than option 1, the engine seemed to have more power and noise levels were acceptable.
As I say, I just used a selction of exhausts bits from other Citroens, but I guess that long term you could find someone with a pipe bender and make up something nicer.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

FWIW, my son made up a set of extractors for a CX series one GTi a few years ago by taking a sketch with dimensions to an exhaust shop and he in turn supplied him with a series of bends made up by a third party. They were mandrell bent pipes and looked extremely professional. He then had them welded together & had them treated using some kind of heat resistant powder coating like a ceramic stuff.
They would almost last forever I'd reckon.
Alan S
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

Thanks Jon,
That gives me a little more to work with, I think you are right there willbe a fair amount of cutting and welding to be done :-)