how often do you change the LHM fluid on a xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

crapday
My Cars:

how often do you change the LHM fluid on a xantia

Post by crapday »

how hard is it to change the lhm fluid on a xantia. mine is brownish now so i think its time for a change. can i di my self or do you think i should take it to a garage. I had a pipe fixed about 2 years ago so the fluidss about 2 years old.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

I believe the service manual says 36 Kmiles for LHM replacement.
But if the colouor is brownish it would certainly need a replacement. Even old LHM should be rather fresh neon green in colour. I'd say you should go for a hydracleanse cure before you fill it with LHM again : LHM fluid service
GSF stocks hydracleanse in 5L containers - what you need.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Change at 36k miles or two years, do it your self its not difficult.
With engine running set suspension to low and let it tick over for a minute to keep the anti sink valves open while the suspension spheres discharge, then stop engine and release the accumulator pressure via the 12mm hex head screw, one turn is sufficient.
Syphon the lhm into a container, unclip wiring and the pipe block, unbolt the lhm tank, tip the tank over and pull the pipe block out, place the pipe block into a waiting recepticle such as an ice cream tub to keep it clean.
Unclip the filters from the pipe block, wash them in petrol (or if you prefer to use something safer do so), wash the tank out and dry it internally.
Refit the filters, tank and pipe block, refill the tank with lhm or hydraflush, leave the pressure release screw open and start the engine, gently work the steering on anti sink models until power assistance is there, let it tickover for a minute, close the pressure release screw for a few seconds and then open it again, a hiss as you do so is a sign that pressure is building in the accumulator and there are no air locks in that side of the pump, repeat this a couple of times, then close the screw.
Cycle the suspension from low to high about five times, pausing at low for a minute to allow the spheres to fully discharge before raising again, then set suspension to normal job done.
The only difficulty if any will be priming the pump, but following these instructions in this order it should self prime no trouble, but if it doesn't, blow down the lhm breather pipe in the tank lid with the engine running and pressure release screw open, this will push the oil down the intake pipe to the pump.
The book of lies suggest draining the power steering ram by turning the steering from lock to lock when the engine is stopped, this wont be easey unless you can park the front wheels on some kind of greased plates or turntable, the strain on the rack will be heavy otherwise, not something I bother doing because of that, plus the ram doesnt hold that much oil that makes it worth the effort, and doing that will make priming more difficult anyway as it will take oil out of the pump.
These instructions are Xantia td anti sink specific.
Dave
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Yes Anders,just had a look.36k miles for LHM & filter change.
crapday
My Cars:

Post by crapday »

thanks especially to AndersDK for the email. well took 1.5 hours to do and was really easy (once I found the pressure relieve screw). the only thing was that the parts man in my local Citroen garage told me i only needed 3L so as I'm a one for the road guy i got an extra one, luckily I did it took 3.7L.
Thanks again.