Brake pipe

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pw64k

Brake pipe

Post by pw64k »

Hi,
My car has failed its mot on (n/s/r brake pipe to caliper) I have just had a look and the pipe has a coil in it, question is can I just have a pipe made up at an indipendent citroen garage or will I have to pay a fortune at the dealers for an orginal pipe, I presume it has a coil in it for a reason.
Cheers
Paul
Simon H
My Cars:

Post by Simon H »

Hi Paul
I replaced the o/s/r brake pipe to caliper on my ZX last summer, the cost about £6 from a Citroen dealer, not pricey at all!
Regards
Simon H
ZX1.4i Elation
Suzuki 600 Bandit
MZ TS250/1
tris

Post by tris »

Should be an on the shelf part. Nothing special. I believe some brands of brake pipe come with this metal to protect the pipe from rubbing on the constantly moving suspension parts. When I replaced the pipes on the front of my AX the pipes had done just that (worn on steering/ suspension), I bought from a local motor factor and they supplied such "with metal coils on" items.
What model do you have anyhow?
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

If you are refering to a Xantia the coil is there to accomodate suspension movement in the pipe, the coil is on the same axis as the trailing arm pivot, dealer only part, unless Jon knows different.
Dave
pw64k

Post by pw64k »

Sorry I forgot to say its a xantia.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

What ever you do do NOT buy a dealer steel part! The pipes are a complex shape and threaded through the subframe. It would be possible - just - to refit the nearside one preformed, but the offside one I had to cut into 3 bits to get it out - to get the steel back in would require removing the height corrector and anti-sink gear. Get your local independant to make you some up in coppera and form the coil round something appropriate. Drill out the rivets on the pipe clamp on the inboard end, and re-use the clamp to fix the new parts. When I did mine I also overhauled the calipers, and it took most of a weekend...
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

i recently replaced the offside front brake pipe on a xantia, the one that runs right along the sub frame and i used a dealer off the shelf pipe as i couldn't get anyone to make me a one out off copper with out first removing the old one to copy and i can't be without the car , but i agree with richard a copper pipe would have been a better idea as it bends very easy and less likely to kink.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Don't get these pipes made from copper, they are designed to flex with the suspension at the coil, copper will work harden and the pipes may crack.
Dave
CommY
My Cars:

Post by CommY »

Genuine Cit ones from a dealer are about £7 so not breaking the bank really