picasso 2.0 hdi pinking

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

schummy10

picasso 2.0 hdi pinking

Post by schummy10 »

hi got an engine diagnostic done in citroen and was told that i need to parts needed is valve R.G.E.cost£60
anyone know what this and where it goes and how easy it is to change?
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

I think you mean EGR- Exhaust Gas Recirculation valve, normally found on/near the exhaust manifold.
Its purpose is to reduce exhaust emissions by redirecting gases back into the engine.
Gaining access is normally the problem with these because they are normally situated at the back of the engine on HDI's. I would look at ours but the wife is working until 22.00 tonight and all day tomorrow.
schummy10

Post by schummy10 »

could that part cause the engine too pink
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

you will most likely need to remove the o/s engine mounting to lower the engine to gain access to it as its quite tight,probably about an hours work.dont know about it causing 'pinking'. id expect it to be smokey and/or lacking power when pulling away.
schummy10

Post by schummy10 »

its not smokey a bit down on power but not much!
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

As far as the pinking noise is concerned are you sure its not just the usual noise an HDI makes because of its direct injection?
The noise made by these engines is much 'sharper' compared to an XUD older style diesel because direct injection diesels ignite the fuel much quicker hence the better fuel economy.
If the EGR valve was stuck open then that could cause a loss of power.
simonelsey
My Cars:

Post by simonelsey »

Had similair noise from local mechanic on my car 2.0 hdi xsara , he noted engine sounded Harsh/harshness????
Its been like for 2 years (40000)miles and still runs ok . He still reckons its harsh but I wouldnt now the difference . I think he is making a comparsion with the XUD .
schummy10

Post by schummy10 »

well you could be right. but the diagnostic read out from citroen states that the egr valve is sticking. and iv soon discovered from reading a haynes manual that you have too remove the engine or sub frame to fit this part.now wondering if i leave it whats the worst can happen or do i trade it in? the engine only has 70000 on it!
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by schummy10</i>

iv soon discovered from reading a haynes manual that you have too remove the engine or sub frame to fit this part.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
thats total bulls**t by haynes,like i said before just remove the o/s engine mounting with the engine supported on a jack so you lower it a bit,its about an hours work.