Chuffing box

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Gregg1100
My Cars:

Chuffing box

Post by Gregg1100 »

<font color="blue"><font face="Comic Sans MS">Hi All,
On the throttle housing on my Xant 16v 2 ltr,97, there is a hose which is fitted to housing, under stepper motor. It then goes along front of cat and dis-appears into left hand wing, into a box of some sort. When idling, one can hear like a chuffing noise coming from the wing where this box is fitted. The noise shuts down and starts up again when engine revved up a bit.
Can anyone explain what this is, please.
Bought a potentiometer today--will fit that and try getting map sensor out, tomorrow.</font id="Comic Sans MS"></font id="blue">
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

Some diesel Xantias have a fuel-fed-heater for the interior to fill the gap between start-up and engine warm-up. I know yours is a petrol, Gregg, but could it be one of these? I'm probably way out on this.......
dan.2cv
My Cars:

Post by dan.2cv »

If your car has a chuffing box I'd take it to the nearest GUM clinic. Failing that stick a couple of Rennies in the tank.
Gregg1100
My Cars:

Post by Gregg1100 »

Hi Dan,
Has your 1.8 got the hose and box thing in left hand wing---listen to the wierd noise it makes when ticking over/being revved. Unless a fault is there that makes that sound. Pass.
I wish the Rennies would work lol
Thanks
Greg
dan.2cv
My Cars:

Post by dan.2cv »

Greg I'll have a look for you tomorrow matey, I need to check out a slipping belt which might drown out the noise of my chuffer if it is indeed chuffing.
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Could it be something to do with the emission control system, crankcase breather etc.
dan.2cv
My Cars:

Post by dan.2cv »

Well Greg I do indeed also have a chuffer pipe which I'm afraid to say (for you, not me) doesn't chuff. By virtue of its location I would hazard a guess that it is a 'suction' pipe and would agree with Stempy that it is probably part of the breather system. Climbing under the car is not my favourite passtime with a hangover, so I'll leave that to you! See what the pipe actually goes to and then start your deductions. If what it is fitted to is a component with a diaphragm, it may be split and flapping about which is causing your chuffage, however I reckon it probably goes to the charcoal canister and you simply have an air leak somewhere.
All the best, let us know how you get on.
ps, in case you cared I think my auto tensioner is (-expletive removed-).(in the words of Mel B)
Gregg1100
My Cars:

Post by Gregg1100 »

Hello Dam,
Removed stepper motor and potentiometer again, to get at MAP sensor. Does it look like an oil pressure switch. Will look at the underside of wing when it stops pigging raining, but I assume that if anything wrong in chuffer box(?), as it is connected to manifold by a vacuum hose, it could well upset all the mixture settings if it was faulty. Will have to take this car off the road to get this problem sorted.
Thanks for help
Greg
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Did a search for chuffer and came up with this..I think item 3 is the chuffing relay while item 1 is the chuff canister Image
Gregg1100
My Cars:

Post by Gregg1100 »

Hi Stempy,
Thanks for your time. I removed the MAP sensor Sat morning and cleaned it out. On Sunday (today ) I refitted the sensor, along with new Potentiometer. I found that the breather system from cyl. head was blocked up, so cleaned all that out. When all back together again, , on entering my code to start, I pushed throttle to floor twice, then started car. It started great, but only about 30 secs later , the same uneven running started again. and revs still slow to die down. The chuffing noise seems to have stopped, so probably blocked breather was the cause of that.
So, I have changed potentiometer, stepper motor, checked all round for air leaks, cleaned out breather system, cleaned map sensor, removed and refitted spark plugs to see if any were fouled up. Not. The jerking seems to have stopped for the present, but how long will that last.. I have had enough of this now, but can`t afford to take it to a garage for them to build up a bill for more than cars worth. Anyone want to buy a 16v, 1997 (P). Just taxed the pig too.
Thanks to all you guys that have helped me on this problem,
Regards,
Greg
PS. Main Citroen dealer bloke reckons that 16v`s don`t like NGK or Bosch spark plugs. He reckoned that Equeum were the bees knees