heavy steering after flushing

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tj
My Cars:

heavy steering after flushing

Post by tj »

After filling with hydraflush, my 97 xantia wagon steering gets very heavy at low speed or quick turn or stationary especially to the driver side (RHD). I replace the fluid with new lhm after 3500Km, the steering improved briefly and it is back to the old problem. It is not consistent, at time it feels normal and in some cases when the car is stationary there is almost no power assistence. What could be the problem? Air in the system? Or worn pinion valve seals?
http://www.alllinuxcd.com
sbraud
My Cars:

Post by sbraud »

I had a similar problem whilst trying to find a hydraulic fault after stitching off ignition whilst still moving and steering. PAS developed the same symptoms as yours, especially RHD steer. Symptoms would come and go like yours.
After depressurising and doing the Citrobics a few times, it seemed to disappear. I guess it must have been air in the hydraulic steering ram.
Cheers
Steve
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Try the CITAEROBICS, but also (with engine running) turn your steering from lock to lock about 6 or 7 times. that usually purges any air in the system.
alexx
My Cars:

Post by alexx »

Citrobics won't help, because steering circuit is separated from suspension/brakes, but moving the wheel from lock to lock could
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I think you will find that if the pinion valve seals leak either LHM will escape into the rack and leak out or will leak up the colum shaft. If the internal ones have gone the classic is heavy steering on one side as the seals don't wear quite equally.
Steering requires a high volume of LHM - so check the reservoir filters again and also the pipe to the pump from the reservoir for air entering the system. Otherwise - pump!
Jeremy
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Sounds very much like pinion seals. We had to do ours in the BX but in this case it was due to a leaky seal caused by a "tradesman" leaving a heatshield off and cooking them.
If you do them, and I am fairly sure the Xantia and BX are very similar, take the pinion out of the car and either photograph it or mark where the seals go before you strip it down as LHD and RHD go in different grooves and (don't ask me why) they apparently have to go back in the same ones they came out of.
Also, be sure to completely strip it. There was a website that showed it being done with the bearing attached; this makes it an almost impossible job to do. Press the bearing off the shaft and use plenty of silicone grease on reassembly. Put entire pinion with seals attached in the freezer for an hour or so before trying to reassemble and silicone grease the cylinder they have to fit into.
Then the worse part is removing all the gear to get to the pinion when removing and refitting it all when reassembling.
Alan S
tj
My Cars:

Post by tj »

I found the cause! The LHM intake pipe joining the tank has a crack where the clip is and the pump has been sucking lots of air. When I tried to adjust the clip, the @#%*&! pipe snapped off completely and I was stuck without power steering and brake. As an emergency fix, I replaced the whole intake pipe with a household stove gas pipe and its seems to be holding up fine. My question is, can gas pipe stand up to LHM and heat under the bonnet?
http://www.alllinuxcd.com
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

tj,
Don't exactly know what you're referring to, but this stuf I know wwill take it.
They use a lot of it on marine applications and it will do just about anything.
I've used this on ATF, engine oil, coolant and LHM.
Alan S
Oscar Too
My Cars:

Post by Oscar Too »

Alan
What do you mean "New Signature"? Where did the old one go?