BX Retro-fit temperature gauge annoyance.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jonathan_dyane

BX Retro-fit temperature gauge annoyance.

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Well, I finally got around to fitting a temperature gauge to the BX, and bought a Tim kit for the purpose. After ripping out the innards of the coin tray I have let the gauge into the flap, and I must say it does look neat.
*However* the range of collars provided to fit the sensor in the thermostat housing all had the wrong threads, so I was forced to temporarily fit a sensor out of a CX head I had lying around, which of course reads inaccurately [:(!]
I intend to modify the plug which was previously sealing the threaded hole in the thermostat housing to hold the Tim sensor, and would be interested to know if anyone else has been in this position?
Jon, how did you manage to fit the Tim gauge?
Wish I had access to a lathe...
Jon

Post by Jon »

Hi
I used the spare hole (the one thats plugged by a 14mm bolt) behind the fuel filter housing. I left the two sensors alone. The guage came with 3 brass fittings, one of which screwed into the housing OK, if anything very slighly undersized, so I gave it a couple of turns with PFTE tape first, nipped it up gently, and its been fine since, no leaks.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I had the same problem with by BX TD and fitted the supplied sensor by making my own adaptor out of a BX temp light sensor. I drilled out the innerds and removed the rest with a burr on a dremel type drill (that thing the Dentist uses.) I then slightly bent the top flange and screwed the supplied adaptor into it, filled it with white conductive paste (had some left over after I fitted thermostat to the central heating boiler) and then fitted it.
Still doesn't read accurately - probably due to low car voltage or gauge wants trimming - will deal with it shortly.
If I was doing it again I would carefully solder the adaptor to the old warning light housing for better strength but I'd filled it with the silicon becore I thought of that!
Jeremy.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

I bought an off the shelf insert from De*on tweeks for under £2 which the sender screwed into and which in turn fitted the original hole, if my memory was good i would remember which size it was but sadly...........
Stewart
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

I seem to remember from my YOOF days that the threaded bits were a tight fit, I think there designed that way feels like there cross threading.
Jon's way is probably best though plenty of ptfe tape.
G4EIY
My Cars:

Post by G4EIY »

If I remember right, some of the adapters had a tapered thread...These just sealed themselves when tightened ...
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

i think that the holes provided for the temp sensors are a strange size and in fact seal on a small bevel at the top of the thread. I measured everything with a thread gauge and callipers before coming to that decision.
jeremy
jonathan_dyane

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Thanks guys.
I'm not too keen on forcing the thing in with ptfe tape, or otherwise bodging it, so I think I'll drill and tap the blanking plug to fit the sensor.
Some of my engineering training from my previous life as an enineering student must have rubbed off, I cannot stand the idea of forcing that thing in!
I will be rather interested to find out how hot the engine runs!
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Mine was a bit tight too ( I put it in the hole normally occupied by the red light of death sender ) but as once its in its likely to be staying there for the rest of the cars life don't worry abot it- just force it in with a bit of PTFE- it's brass so it more or less cuts its own thread anyway, and a small bodge here could save the life of your engine........
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

I think the thread is slightly tapered.
Stewart