Dodgy AX Handling

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

phil02

Dodgy AX Handling

Post by phil02 »

Greetings, hope there's someone who can shed some light on this!
My 120,000 mile AX has developed a new and unpleasant characteristic - the steering varies quite substantially in its feel during driving.
When driving around normally, around 75% of the time the car will handle pretty much as normal, i.e. steering is a little heavy at slow speeds and lightens up a bit at speed.
However, I took it out today for the first time in a while after it had been in the hands of my sister for 4 weeks and occasionally, like for instance turning into a junction, the steering feels like you're driving on ice. The steering feels lifeless, limp and very light - I turned into a junction at about 15 - 20mph and the wheel just spun in my hands, which took me by surprise a little.
The best way to describe it I guess is that when it's doing this, if you wobble the steering wheel from side to side a little it feels like you're driving on two half-flat front tyres. I checked the pressures and they're absolutely fine all round the car.
It's noticeable in general driving and my father, who drove it a few weeks back, commented on the limp steering as well. It wasn't that noticeable then but it is now.
Sooo....after all that, my question is: what is causing it, and is it a safety issue? The car is due to be sold on in May/June but it's still in 7 days-a-week service up until then. It just passed its MOT so it's obviously not a serious issue, but I'd like to know what's causing it if anyone knows.
Thanks for your time,
Phil
etlcsns

Post by etlcsns »

Just a few things to check,
Any play in the track rod bushes on the rack or the ends
Open the bonnet and check the top strut mounts, give the car a good bounce there should be no appreciable movement.
Other than that it's the lower wishbone bushes (usually the rear one) there cheap and easy to change.
Just remember MOT testers do miss things, don't assume it,s not obvious
Cheers
Chris
AX 1.5d 212,000 miles
phil02

Post by phil02 »

I am not very experienced with car oily bits, so some of that's a little beyond me to check, but I'll check the strut mounts. I'm popping up to the garage tomorrow to pay for the MOT (sob) so I'll mention your list and see what he says.
I don't want to fork out for something unless it's absolutley necessary seeing as the car's going soon, but obviously if it's a safety thing I'll want to get it sorted, its got a few longish journeys ahead of it.
Thanks for your help
Phil