Heavy Clutch?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tonyb1
My Cars:

Heavy Clutch?

Post by tonyb1 »

My beloved Xantia clutch dissappeared on the outside lane of the A2 yesterday, lovely tailback caused (sorry people). At the garage today, the guy said that the cable had snapped, but the clutch should be ok. New cable was fitted and he said it's ok but the clutch is heavy, is a heavy clutch a sign of things about to get worse? I've always had a fair bit of pressure from the clutch. I'm picking it up on Saturday, will be interesting to see if it feels heavier to me. I drove a fiesta today and the clutch could barely be felt it was so light compared to the Xantia.
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

Tony, the Xantia clutch is heavy compared to many smaller cars and those with hydraulic units. I would judge the car when you collect it. The Fiesta is a particularly light one I think if the one my sons partner drives is anything to go by so a bad baseline to compare with. Robin
LeFrog
My Cars:

Post by LeFrog »

My first thought was:
"Why did his cable snap in the first place? Perhaps it's having to work too hard." i.e., clutch is not behaving as it should, otherwise cable wouldn't snap in the first place.
alexx
My Cars:

Post by alexx »

Change the clutch and it will be better
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

Are you sure he changed the clutch cable and not just the clutch cable to pedal plastic clip? My clutch has been very heavy for months. A few days ago the pedal dropped to the floor and the clip had snapped. I already had a new cable that I had been meaning to fit for months to try and cure the heavy pedal. I fit both new clip and cable and the pedal is now nice and light. the old cable must be dry and stiff. If he just changed clip then I would change cable as well - a lot cheaper than a clutch fitting. If you do nothing about the heavy pedal like I did you will be loosing the clutch again because the clip will fail at some time due to the extra strain.
alexx
My Cars:

Post by alexx »

Well, the cable should also be checked. But every clutch, when worn, becomes heavy. It's because a diaphragm, pressing the clutch to the flywheel, is a spring with "degressive" characteristics. When clutch is worn, its geometry is changed and you loose the degressive part (it's felt on the pedal)
tonyb1
My Cars:

Post by tonyb1 »

Thanks for the comments, I'll ask the garage for their opinion of why it 'snapped' when I pick it up in the morning and post it here. If it feels heavier than it used to be when I pick it up then I think I'll invest in a new clutch when I get the money. The best quote I got for a new clutch and fitting was £270, all inclusive. Is this a decent price? Seems like it's a bit steep.
weety
My Cars:

Post by weety »

actually thats pretty cheap for a xantia clutch.....they are very time consuming to do.....
tonyb1
My Cars:

Post by tonyb1 »

Well I'm reunited with it. The clip had broken, similar to Neils account above. It's a lot lighter than it's ever been now since I had it. I've just got to figure out the strange noise from the steering now!