national tyre offer

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mosser</i>

They do an H rated Barum, i know because i got 4 of them fitted yesterday, first thing i noticed after having them fitted is how quiet my car has suddenly become, they seem like decent tyres to me, and for ?100 for 4 you cant complain !
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Mosser, was that on the National tyre deal?
Mosser
My Cars:

Post by Mosser »

Yup, they specifically ordered in the H rated ones for me as they had the T rated ones in stock but told me that they werent approved for my car as it needed H rated tyres, i wasnt going to argue though as the ones they ordered in for me were the same price as the T rated ones,
They did try and charge me £20 for tyre insurance though, luckily i spotted this before i had paid and got them to take it off the bill,
They did my MOT for £30 which is £12 cheaper than i could find anywhere else
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mosser</i>

Yup, they specifically ordered in the H rated ones for me as they had the T rated ones in stock but told me that they werent approved for my car as it needed H rated tyres, i wasnt going to argue though as the ones they ordered in for me were the same price as the T rated ones,
They did try and charge me £20 for tyre insurance though, luckily i spotted this before i had paid and got them to take it off the bill,
They did my MOT for £30 which is £12 cheaper than i could find anywhere else
They sound like a more helful bunch than the guys in the branch I went to then. How much did you pay in total? I love the way they dont even ask if you want new valves- they just put them on and charge you for them...[:(!]
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

Grip of the Avon ZV3's in the wet was tested to the full earlier when some t{@t in a Mitsubishi Pajero (cheapy import), pulled out right across the front of me while I was in the inside lane on a BIG roundabout. He quite clearly didnt look if anything was coming and even when I blasted my horn his course didnt waiver. Foot full to the floor on the brakes, ABS and tyres did their job and brought me to a standstill. Im sure that had I had those worn Michelins on(almost on the tread indicator)I would have hit him. I bet the chump didnt even realise what he nearly caused, he was probably on his mobile phone or something.[:(!]
What made it worse was that as I had effectively done an emergency stop, the car cut out as I didnt get foot on clutch quick enough, so I start it up and then theres a tanker up my backside giving it loads on his horn! All this because I volunteered to go to GSF (Trafford Park) for some wiper blades for 'her in doors'![}:)] AAaaarrgghh.
Rant over!
Cheers
Paul
citroennut
My Cars:

Post by citroennut »

[When I said i would leave it after he told me they had no Barums in he started going on about speed ratings and how with the Barums (which were T rated) I wouldnt be insured properly anyway as the tyres on my car were H rated. What a load of bully. Ive checked on the web and T rated takes you up to 118mph- I certainly never reach those speeds in the HDi so if they had them in stock they would have been fine.
Once they get you in the door they try and sell you everything but thats what the offer is for i suppose.
Cheers
if you fit tyres which don't meet the speed rating for the car intended then your insurance will be invalidated, it does't matter whether you reach those speeds or not, the car is capable of doing so. suppose if you don't have an accident ;) you're ok
cheers
kid
My Cars:

Post by kid »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by drpau</i>

Well, in the end I decided to go for the Avon ZV3's ( I think that was the name), they had conveniently ran out of the barum tyres. Ended up costing £82 total, they are 40quid a throw on mytyres.co.uk and I still would have had to get them fitted, and balanceed so not too bad.

Cheers
Paul
like you i got a set of avon zv3 for my xantia, £84 all in for a set, not bad as when i shopped around the cheapest fully fitted was £47 each. the tyres themselves are a new breed and must say i have found them fantastic in the wet and good in the dry, at £42 a side cant go wrong, probably worth £50- £60 they are that good. also incredibly quiet, they meet the latest euro directive on tyre quietness, worth haveing just to comply with the EU!
from reading the past threads on tyres for a xantia, it appears the goodyear eagle ventura was the one to go for, which has since been superseded by the goodyear hydragrip, which according to reviews is even better. i guess the zv3 will have to be included in that list to.
ive found the following website very useful and more importantly accurate on tyres.
http://www.tyretest.com
hope this helps
pete_wood_uk
My Cars:

Post by pete_wood_uk »

In the thread above I recommended etyres.co.uk as a supplier. Unfortunately, and I very much don't like doing this, I need to withdraw that recommendation.
The falling-out that I've had with them is partly my own fault, but hell, the customer's always right :-). They fitted and balanced two new tyres for £175 on my HDI the other week. Moved back wheels to front, and put new tyres on the back. On my first motorway journey, the car tried to shake itself to pieces. That was a Friday, I knew I had another motorway business trip on the Monday, I was at a business meeting, so I just quickly ducked out, rang back to my wife and said "for god's sake book me into ATS tomorrow morning to get this mess sorted out".
ATS more or less did sort it out - all 4 wheels were out of balance, though they did find (and show me) that one of the wheels isn't round, which the etyres fitter seemed not to have noticed. The two on the front (which were the old rears) had themselves been fitted by etyres a few months ago (hence my original recommendation).
Car much better on the Monday. Rang etyres, told them what had happened, asked for some refund, basically got the brush-off from their director that because I hadn't given them the chance to put it right themselves, they weren't interested. How the hell was I to know from a distant business meeting that they worked 6 days a week? Was I supposed to get my wife to ring them and, over the sound of a screaming baby, argue the toss about responsibility with them?
Oh well, hey ho. Everyone makes mistakes, that's human, and the HDI alloys with no holes are buggers to balance. It's how you handle the mistakes afterwards that marks out good businesses. The letter I got from them didn't apologise at all, or say what they were doing (training or equipment calibration) to prevent it happening to anyone else.
I therefore can't recommend them further.
Pete
aengus
My Cars:

Post by aengus »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by citroennut</i>

[When I said i would leave it after he told me they had no Barums in he started going on about speed ratings and how with the Barums (which were T rated) I wouldnt be insured properly anyway as the tyres on my car were H rated. What a load of bully. Ive checked on the web and T rated takes you up to 118mph- I certainly never reach those speeds in the HDi so if they had them in stock they would have been fine.
Once they get you in the door they try and sell you everything but thats what the offer is for i suppose.
Cheers
if you fit tyres which don't meet the speed rating for the car intended then your insurance will be invalidated, it does't matter whether you reach those speeds or not, the car is capable of doing so. suppose if you don't have an accident ;) you're ok
cheers
According to the legal position, you'd invalidate the insurance, yes. Also don't forget that the police do roadside spot checks from time to time, at which point you tyres will be checked, and you may then be persecuted, at 3 points per tyre, bye bye license - and then you've saved nothing at all!
regarsd
THELABMAN
My Cars:

Post by THELABMAN »

I checked many many years ago with my local friendly trafic police regarding speeed ratings on tyres and was told as long as you dont exceed the speed of the lowest rated tyre (think back to remoulds before they became available with a speed rating)you are ok, and lets face it the speed limit is 70mph.
poppy
My Cars:

Post by poppy »

the difference in price between the best in the shop and the worst for a 195 is about 30 quid a tyre...x4 =120 per 2 years =£60 pa = 1 meal + wine for 4...........think about it !!! or ask any paramedic
a trip on the rutted M1 at 70 on a hot day + kids and all.......get yer hands in yer pockets....deep!!!
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Just had a set of four Dunlop SP Sport 01's fitted. £72 a piece from Hi-Q including valve, balance, disposal, puncture insurance, etc etc. Superb tyres compared to the Michelin Energys that were previously fitted, quieter, smoother and they actually grip, doubt they will last as long though.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

While we are on the subject -
- anyone got experiences with this company ? :
http://www.mytyres.co.uk/
- as it got a DK service too (based from Germany I suppose). They are downright cheap even on wellknown branded tyres.
One of my favourites is Chris's tyre bible here :
http://www.chris-longhurst.com/carbible ... bible.html
Ross_K
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 VTR+ HDi 1.6
2004 Toyota Prius
2004 Alfa Romeo 156 1.6 Twin Spark

Post by Ross_K »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by AndersDK</i>

http://www.mytyres.co.uk/
- as it got a DK service too (based from Germany I suppose). They are downright cheap even on wellknown branded tyres.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Yes. I've used http://www.eiretyres.com/ which is the same site except the prices are in €. Can't fault them - damn cheap and they dropped them off at work for me...
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by AndersDK</i>

http://www.mytyres.co.uk/<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> Yep used them twice, BF Goodrich Tourings on my Xantia (fuel economy dropped by 5% since I switched from the Mitchelin Energy) and some very cheap ones for the AX.
The Goodrich Tyres came in at £120 GBP for all four delivered (185 section 15" tyres)
[:)]
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

I've used them twice, but I bought Uniroyal Rallye 550s, fuel economy didn't change or improved very marginally but the wet grip is as far as I can tell as good as the dry, I paid £43 a tyre, which is £52 more than Marty paid for a full set.
A tank of fuel costs about £52, so after 20 tanks of fuel (less than a year's driving for me) the will have earned their keep...